Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece clear / transparent filter

First post, Yay!

I bought and converted a Microsoft Lifecam Studio Webcam for imaging through my telescope and to make it fit the eyepiece holder I used the barrel from an eyepiece I never use. To protect the camera sensor from dust I would like to have a filter on the end of the tube, but it looks like there are only filters that filter, and none are just clear glass. I assume I'm searching the Internet using the wrong term.

Right now I'm storing it with a Moon filter, which I remove just during the amount of time I am actually capturing images.

Does a clear non-filtering filter exist?

Thanks!

Sounds like the perfect use for a moon filter to me. :D

How about using an eyepiece dust cap?

A moon filter will be great for the moon to cut down on brightness/glare, but reduce incoming light for planetary viewing no? Since it's all I have for now, I'll be doing some testing as soon as I get a clear sky.

Posted via Tapatalk

GEAR

~ Celestron NexStar 130SLT

~ Celestron Plossl, Filters, 2x Barlow (kit)

~ Microsoft Lifecam Studio Webcam

They do exist. The Astronomik MC Klarglass (spelled something like that) is exactly this type of filter.

I see they have a lot of filters for DSLR and CCD, but they comparison chart lists all filters as being unsuitable for Webcam planetary use.

http://www.astronomik.com/en/photographic-filters.html

That's a great start though. Thanks!

Posted via Tapatalk

GEAR

Doing some reading about this Webcam, and it sounds like I'm going to need to use an IR cut filter since the filter on the Webcam lens is now removed. I'll get one on order and test both ways. It will solve my dust concerns too.

Posted via Tapatalk

GEAR

Archived