Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to - Toucam (Phillips 750k) firmware upgrade to SPC 900NC

Vox45

I ran into issues using my Phillips 750k Toucam on windows 7 and Sharpcap.

After contacting Robin in the Sharpcap thread, he suggested that I update my 750k firmware to a SPC 900CN firmware.

The benefit of doing that is that I can now run supported windows 7 drivers for my webcam and it solved all the issues I had in Sharpcap. Once the firmware is updated, the camera is no longer a 750k, it is a 900NC and uses the related drivers.

So here is an 'how to' with the necessary files and links to do this. It is quite an easy process and should take 5 minutes to complete so do not be put off by the lenght of the procedure, it is all casual stuff.

You will need:

900NC drivers

WcRmac software

900NC Firmware spc900nc.txt

Steps:

(1) Install the existing 750k drivers and video capture software for the Toucam Pro. In my case I just installed the 750k drivers and Sharpcap but any other video capture software would work.

*Note that I was unable to install the 750k driver on on Win7_x64 so I had to install on Win7_x32. To get around that, you could create a Windows7_x32 VM and, after flashing the firmware, download the appropriate 900NC drivers and install the webcam on your Win7_x64 machine as you would normally do. I have not tried that, so if someone could test and report if the drivers also work on x64, that would be great.

(2) Install the WcRmac software. This software is needed to write the new firmware to the webcam. You should save the old 750k firmware (highly recommended) in case something goes horribly wrong. Both actions take less than 30 seconds

(3) Rename the SPC900NC.txt to SPC900NC.bin and save it in [C:\Program Files\TWIRG\WcRmac\binary\8116\]

(4) Connect your webcam to the USB port and launch the video capturing software (eg, Sharpcap)

(5) Open a video capture window on your capture program. Video capture has to be running to start the upgrade

(6) Launch the WcRmac application

(7) In the WcRmac application, click on webcam on the menu bar and select DS Interface

(8) Select the webcam you want to upgrade from the window and press the connect button

(9) Click on the Binaries Tab in the main window

(10) Create a backup of your webcam’s existing firmware by clicking on the 'Get current and Save as' button and entering a relevant filename

(11) Tick the 'OK - I take full responsibility using this program' check box in the yellow section of the main window.

(12) Select the SPC900NC.bin file in the Binaries window and click on the 'Load into cam' button.

======================================================================================================================

You should see the status bar at the bottom of the window indicating the load status. This takes about 20 – 30 seconds to complete.

======================================================================================================================

(13) Once complete, close WcRmac and disconnect your webcam

(14) Install the SPC900NC drivers you got from step 1 and reboot your PC

You should now have your 'new' SPC 900NC webcam recognised in Windows

Clear skies

Edited by Vox45
  • Like 4

I agree.

I can confirm that it is a 750k

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=PCVC750K&scy=us&slg=en&mid=Link_Software

The 740k is called ToUcam Pro and the 750k is called ToUcam Scan as it was sold with a mounting harm to scan documents, quite weird actually :)

Edited by Vox45

I agree.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=PCVC750K&scy=us&slg=en&mid=Link_Software

The 740k is called ToUcam Pro and the 750k is called ToUcam Scan as it was sold with a mounting harm to scan documents, quite weird actually :)

Ok good to know

Never heard of that one, sorry for doubting

:) :)

AB

What do you mean ? You do not know all the models of all the webcams ever produced in the last 15 years ? Shame on you ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The slightly older Philips SPC880nc shows up,as a 750k when you connect it to sharpcap, and those are the drivers you need so you can flash it, I have just flashed one for a member on here, for the cost of the postage, I have done over 50 of them for people, I can do the Toucam pro the toucam pro II the SPC880 and change them all to the SPC900nc, so if you are struggling let me know.

Regards

AB

I agree.

Yes I have found it, it is essentially the SPC880 but in a different housing for a different purpose, but exactly the same camera.

:)

AB

Yes I have found it, it is essentially the SPC880 but in a different housing for a different purpose, but exactly the same camera.

:)

AB

Good :) thanks for the information !

• 1 year later...
51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hi folks,

Will this work for a TOUCAM II? I have just received a brand new unopened box one, ready for me to dismember for LX mod and peltier cooling...!

From what I understand, the Toucam pro is the Philips PCVC840K, there is a way to make it work in Windows7 without flashing it. In my case I wanted to flash it so it would work with SharpCap .. If this is your endgoal you will have to try flashing it but I've never done the test so I cannot tell if this will work.

If you only want to make it work on Win7 you can follow this tutorial (in french but it will give you an idea)

www.webastro.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93123

• Like 1

Thanks,

Its not a PRO one, it's a PCVC 820K/20, I have found the same instructions in English on Cloudy Nights.

If I change the numbers to match the hardware ID of my camera (rather than the one given in the example), it tries to load, but fails as it says the files security hash no longer matches the one in the catalogue :-(

I guess W7 didn't do this security check, but W8 does.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thanks,

Its not a PRO one, it's a PCVC 820K/20, I have found the same instructions in English on Cloudy Nights.

If I change the numbers to match the hardware ID of my camera (rather than the one given in the example), it tries to load, but fails as it says the files security hash no longer matches the one in the catalogue :-(

I guess W7 didn't do this security check, but W8 does.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be able to flash it to a SPC900nc. I you go down this route, please share it here and let us know the result as this may help others in the future. Good luck!

• 3 years later...

An old thread but I've just flashed my really old (at least 20 years) yellow toucam 740K as I've kept an XP computer for such needs and got it working on Windows 10. I didn't need to install the philips driver as windows found one automatically. SharpCap works fine and once I had given the privacy permission to the camera so did Teams.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 16:33, happy-kat said:

An old thread but I've just flashed my really old (at least 20 years) yellow toucam 740K as I've kept an XP computer for such needs and got it working on Windows 10. I didn't need to install the philips driver as windows found one automatically. SharpCap works fine and once I had given the privacy permission to the camera so did Teams.

Glad to read this. My notebook webcam is crappy and can't handle the backlight when I sit (at home) with my back to a window, I dug up my old webcam (PCVC740K) knowing there were no W10 drivers for it. I struggled with some workaround drivers but my company smartly disabled to switch off the firmware 'secure boot' option as bitlocker blocks that. I'll go find my tiny-pc with XP to see if I can flash it and let it work. Keep you posted!

Hope it works for you.

Unfortunately I just received a windows 10. Update 1909 and it's preventing the camera image to show so I'll need to dig around to fix that. The camera device reports it is OK so I'm suspecting some form of privacy block rather than driver issue.

Hi happy-kat, I just got it to work. I still have 1809 so I am warned what that can bring ;-).

I must say that in poor light conditions (lamp light now) the webcam seems to perform better, I wonder how it will be with daylight. At least I can fix the camera to a position separate from my laptop / working position. It was nice to play for an evening with some of my old stuff :-).

Kind regards,

Martijn.