Narrowband

Webcam help

greamec

The ebay item needs the webcam specification as Peter above, possibly ask the seller, 3days to run and has 3 of them £20+post.  I see there is a quickcam pro on abs for £30.

cheers I will find out the spec, are all the quick cams ok or just certain ones

thanks again greame

On a side note I got a travelscope 70 for Christmas and have been waiting for a chance to use it. Yesterday afternoon me and my 5 year old daughter took it out to the garden because the moon was out. We were both very impressed with our first view of the moon through a telescope. "awesome daddy" she said.

Looking forward to looking at more planets.

On a side note I got a travelscope 70 for Christmas and have been waiting for a chance to use it. Yesterday afternoon me and my 5 year old daughter took it out to the garden because the moon was out. We were both very impressed with our first view of the moon through a telescope. "awesome daddy" she said.

Looking forward to looking at more planets.

Wonderful! That's what it's all about. And a little astronomer in the making!

Alexxx

The seller does not mention which webcam was modified to make this camera. Not all webcams are suitable for imaging.

A.G

It's possible to use a Quickcam pro 4000, a quick search :

Stargazers

Astronomy Log

WebCam Astronomy

The ABS Quickcam pro 4000 is still active but been on a couple of days and had 50+ views

These cameras are quite old now, but most modern (all?) webcams seem to be cmos not ccd, but then you get usb2 not the bottle neck of usb1, I recon you could play with the Quickcam if it's still available, sell it on later - you will have a idea of whats what.  Short video's of the moon, stacking software is mostly free, your time and interest ?

Your 'aside' note rings a warning bell. Are you planning on using the 70 with the webcam. There is no reason why you should not try and I am very much all for trying to work things out with the kit available, but don't expect to capture the quality images that you may have seen.

The Moon IMHO (with camera) would be your only sensible target with this telescope on the supplied mount, but if you can capture a couple of thousand frames in focus whilst hand tracking then you and your daughter will have even stronger Father/Daughter time when working out different Astro Imaging software to produce a final image that she can take to school.

Your next planet will be Jupiter, but even this can be 'hairy' in a much larger telescope.

The moon in the afternoon with daughter, priceless memory. :)

Thanks richm63,

You made me smile

I wondered if my kit would be up to it and needed your reality check. I have recently got everything sorted to hook up my dslr, so I think I will focus on that as our next mission (a good pictur of the moon). You are right I did get carried away like I always do with new hobbies, some of the videos are great and inspiring.

One thing I found out the other day was that the only lens worth using from the travelscope is the 20mm, it's nice and bright. The other are so poor in comparison (travelscope users what is the best lens you have found for yours?).

Anyway loving my great value stocking filler from the wife but will hold on the web cam for a bit, see how hooked I get. How much would I be looking at by the way for a webcam telescope?

Cheers greame

Hi all,

Got the specs on that web cam , what do you think?

3.0 Megapixel
Max. dynamic resolution:5.0M pixels (352x288,640x480,1280x1024,1600x1200,2048x1536,2560x1920)
Max. static resolution:30.0M pixels (320x240,640x480,800x600,1024x768,1280x1024,1600x1200,2592x1944,2848x2136,3648x2736,4000x3000)(Needs software boost)
Lens types:CMOS
Lens 3 million pixels
Lens 640 x 480 resolution
Maximum frame number 30 frames
Color digits 24 bits
Lens high precision glass lens
Plug and play support
USB 2.0 interface type
Support the static and dynamic image capture
Support the dynamic real-time transmission remote video
Support system:Win7/XP/2000,Vista
USB cable length:110 cm(approx)

Hi all,

Got the specs on that web cam , what do you think?

I think the specs look like these, Fashion USB 2.0 Webcam possibly rehoused, (it's quite common to rehouse webcams in Astronomy DIY),  the webcam can be found on eBay and BangGood.  I know this ain't much help, I think if I were you I would play with your dslr for a bit.

So is the ms lifecam the best webcam to use?

What's the cheapest but best option?

You can't expect too much at this price point to be honest. There are better webcams around but not much at this price point. How much better is the MS webcam is anyone's guess as there is no yardstick to measure by. To put things in perspective an old USB1 SPC/900 still goes for about £35.00~70.00 on the used market. An adapter for MS LifeCam to turn it to a 1.25" fitting is about £13.00. At any rate all these webcams are probably fine for imaging the Moon with a fast scope and you could probably have fun with Jupiter but I guess that would be all.

A.G

Archived