Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Old images new techniques

neil phillips

Back in 2011 I had some superb seeing over a lengthy period of time. Back then I wasn't using Winjupos, Shooting at around 10 or 11000 MM Focal length

Any rotation would show up. Perhaps rather unwisely I did not take any longer captures, My capture times were 1min for red 50secs for green and 47 secs for blue. But I did do a series of runs one after a another. So this has enabled me to use winjupos and get three times the amount of frames I could have used back then with those capture times.

I joined three 1 minute reds three 50 second greens, and three 45 second blue channels, using winjupos to create this image.

The result is a smoother image, enabling more sharpening and detail extraction. I have a few runs from back then that I can do this with. so will be spending some time seeing what I can do with them. I am glad I have kept this footage all these years. so much has been deleted, thrown in the bin to make way for more. But I saved these on a separate external HD

Not sure about the processing. The images with only a 245mm primary mirror, are quite dim, especially at such a high focal length, and at 60 FPS

The image quality will be affected by that to a degree. The colour is not accurate. But the detail does look enticing. I hope others agree.

I will try different processes in the coming weeks. To see  how they respond

1.5x

post-2700-0-95706400-1422486789_thumb.pn

post-2700-0-28474800-1422486846.png

Cheers

Here's a straight RGB. The other had a red lum added.  A lot more natural. I need time to get this right, its been a while since I played with good data. Over excited I think.

I have a few of these winjup joins to go through. so its going to take me time to get them right I think.. You can see what I was trying to do, all guns blazing lol. Sometimes it needs finesse instead.

post-2700-0-74896300-1422532874.png

Stacks of detail in these images Neil & nicely done too, very hard to please everybody when processing ones images, ive had images I think are great one day & hate them the next lol, I find under processing is sometimes better than over processing on some data, theres no doubt pushing it to far degrades the image rather than complements it, almost becoming to cartoon like if you get what I mean!

Very nice that 2nd one Neil. Detail from tip to toe. Jupiter was 10% larger back then which is one reason I suspect we are struggling to match those levels of detail this time.

looking at the avis, seeing was so calm, you could hardly tell the image was live. Even at around ten meters. Theres a lot more going on here than a 10% reduction in size.

The blues were so sharp, like dim greens or even reds. Not only that, but time after time, date after date, I was getting sharpness like that on the blues. This is not just a size thing, Though I agree its not helping. To give another example, back then I was able to use a 5x powermate with a 2x ultima. On mars. around 16 arcsecs in size.  I still have the image. John H calculated the focal length to be around 23 or 26 meters. something like that. Yet the image was sharp. if I tried that now, at any size planet. it would be all over the place. I still am unsure why its so bad. I suspect a persistent jet stream has settled over the UK and heat problems from the cold, and house roofs pouring heat out. So even when seeing is good. its still not great here. Its something like this. Or my scope is buggered. time will tell. maybe the summer will teach me whats what.

But I agree it is hard for nearly everyone this year. Possibly depending on the location. worse for some more than others. I am thinking no close heated houses all around. will fair better under better seeing ?

Cheers for the comments Stuart the second one kind of makes it, in a detail way. Though of course its in a pushed processing arena, completely. The more I work with the avis. the better it might get. I have quite a few to try these new techs on. But I am not in a rush. I really want a good un from this year, I am not giving up. But its looking unlikely to me. Compared to what I got then, or even what I got with the 300p last year.

The footage is there for me to see whats happening.Its actually quite shocking. How bad the images are being captured here, pretty much ALL the time. But I do think my site here can suffer in the cold and winter time. likely for more than one reason. I will only know for sure when this kind of seeing returns. The only problem is, its not happening at this present time of the year here.

Stacks of detail in these images Neil & nicely done too, very hard to please everybody when processing ones images, ive had images I think are great one day & hate them the next lol, I find under processing is sometimes better than over processing on some data, theres no doubt pushing it to far degrades the image rather than complements it, almost becoming to cartoon like if you get what I mean!

Cheers Jake

Your right Simon, one mans meat is anothers poison, I see some top planetary guys from years gone bye. With quite heavy processing. And I can see why they did that. Yes it might not look completely natural. But the detail is far easier to see.

Some fine things that might be happening on the planet, are revealed  a lot more. with this type of processing.

But there is a price to  pay. I know the last image might be more a purists cup of tea. But notice how its harder to see everything that is going. So its all valid.

Some days I will like it. others I hate it. Because it becomes un natural. Your completely right.  Its why when I looked back, I thought nooooooooooo, I need a  natural feel. However when you have both on a page. Its like you said at the start, you can not please everyone. And that even includes myself. Best of both worlds cant hurt, Although I am not sure if I am achieving best of both worlds. Experimenting over time often makes a couple come out ok for me.

The opposition in 2011 was in October, so perhaps before the jetstream moved down over UK?

Just found a great APOD for this opposition:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1110/jupiter20111013225714couleu.jpg

Certainly the last two oppositions have been dominated by terrible weather here in UK.

Love the moon emerging from the nw limb [emoji3]

The opposition in 2011 was in October, so perhaps before the jetstream moved down over UK?

Just found a great APOD for this opposition:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1110/jupiter20111013225714couleu.jpg

Certainly the last two oppositions have been dominated by terrible weather here in UK.

Love the moon emerging from the nw limb [emoji3]

I will buy that Jake. I remember the weather guys talking about how  the jet stream shifted over the UK in recent times. They said this after I started seeing Jupiter being ripped to shreds on occasion, with fast moving streams. you may recall I posted a couple of examples. One where the planet was torn to shreds. It was that violent. So yes I believe this is so.

I should upload some Examples of the great seeing back 2011, think you guys will be shocked at how calm the UK air was back then.

still I hope for some good work with both my scopes on lunar in the summer if I get no real joy this year on Jupiter.

speaking of which I am going to post up a shot from the 20th of Jan this year. Not sure if I posted this particular one. Its nothing like this, far from it seeing was very fast. But there was a sharpness trying to come through.

These are wonderful images Neil. The last one edges it for me I think, very nice processing and great colour. I wish there was seeing like this in the UK of late, getting anything decent has been like getting blood out of a stone!!!

Pete

These are wonderful images Neil. The last one edges it for me I think, very nice processing and great colour. I wish there was seeing like this in the UK of late, getting anything decent has been like getting blood out of a stone!!!

Pete

If your saying that Pete, I know times must be difficult around the country. As I know your setup and expertise is first class. I know Jupiter will only be 40 or so degrees next year. But I do wonder about the prospects late in the season considering we will be one month later at opposition, I am thinking early spring perhaps ?

Great things can be got from 40 degrees if the seeing is calm, no question. Cant believe  I am wondering about next year. Before this one has even finished, that says it all doesn't it. Still eternally optimistic. I will not give up this year just yet.  

Cheers

Archived