Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Street Light Retrofit

yeletah

• 2 weeks later...

Sodium lights seem to be on their way out, at least where I am near the Lancs Yorks border. Recently the local council replaced all the sodium lights on my row with LEDs. Though somewhat taller they give adequate lighting where its needed, while above it there are stars. The one at the end of my garden path ie a minor irritant from my observatory, but only when I'm looking in its direction. As a visual observer I think they are a marked improvement on those devilish sodium lights. I wonder if my imaging brethren feel the same, or are they still proving to be a problem?

Mike

They could prove more of a problem, as the old low-pressure orange sodium light could be easily filtered out, but the broad spectrum light from LEDs leaves nowhere for filters to cut. Only NB is possible, at a huge cost..

I think there's a case for lights that dim as they are less required. There's a point as it grows dark - for me anyway - where it's harder to see to drive, even using headlamps than at full dark. That's when streetlamps could be brightest. When it's dark ones eyes are sensitive to low light so it seems pointless to have something bright enough to stop down your pupils. I also imagine it's easier to hide in shadows when there's such a contrast between light and dark. Does that make sense?

Archived