SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie to the skies!

Willow1

Hello there,

My name is Max and since watching Brian Cox and his wonderful astronomy programme on the telly a few weeks ago, I've been transfixed on getting a telescope and seeing for myself the wonders that the sky has to offer!

As yet, I haven't got one, but I am shopping around. My friend pointed these two beginner scopes out to me and I wondered if anybody would be kind enough and give me some advice and feedback on either/both please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006MCYAH4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002PNJCCW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I understand that these are entry level telescopes, but ( and I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this ), my budget is limited at the moment so I have to start small. I hope that at some point in the future I could upgrade to a better telescope, but for now, I think either of these would be fine.

Unless... somebody could point me in the direction of something which is better, but doesn't cost the earth either?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to picking all your brains for lots of info in the coming months.. :smiley:

Max

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Max and welcome to SGL - As an imager, what I know about visual stuff could be written on a pin head! What I have learnt though is to buy your telescope  from a reputable astro dealer. For example, Ian King (http://iankingimaging.com/) or FLO (http://www.firstlightoptics.com) FLO did have a beginners scope section but I can't find it. May well help give you some more ideas.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Max and welcome to SGL,

I started off with the travel scope 70 but soon made the giant leap to my 200P Dob.

It's ok if your on a really tight budget, Your be able to see some nice detail on the moon and the moons of jupiter as brightt little pin pricks, also you will suddenly see the night sky come alive with stars that you could not see with the naked eye.

It leans more towards terrestrail than star gazing and it comes with a very weak camera type tripod which I soon replaced with a more sturdy one made by velbon.

It did get me started and as a nifty light dual purpose scope it's fine but it's weak link is it's tripod.

Hope that helps

To be brutal, I don't think that would cut the mustard,

If you can wait and save up some more cash there are much better options, the problem is and I know I have done it myself is that eagerness takes over and you can end up being diisapointed by buying the wrong scope which will either put you off or end up costing you more in the long run.

Have a look at http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html  which is a perfectly good starter scope which should give you some real enjoyment on a tight budget

If you do have paitence and can wait then something like http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html would serve you well and is one of the most praised scopes out there for it's price to performance ratio.

There are a lot of members here that have far better knowledge than me when it comes to these things and having a look at previous posts there is some really good advice on the subject

Have a look at this post from 2012 and it will give you more insight http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/132090-telescope-for-a-beginner/

Hope this helps

Hello and welcome to the SGL. I have to agree with Ian J. It would be better to wait and get a much better beginners scope, such as those suggested. In the mean time you could get a pair of binoculars. This is the route many of us have taken into the hobby. A great way to learn the night sky and you will be surprised just how much you can see using relatively inexpensive binos.

All the best

Hi Max and welcome to SGL, of the two products you have listed one is a very basic table top telescope, the other more of a spotting scope. Many who come to the forum are recommended to use binoculars for a start, with them you can learn the night sky, until the time comes that you have the finances available to afford a good starter scope, purchased from a dedicated Astronomical outlet like FLO. This may seem a somewhat disappointing suggestion, but it may match your observational disappointment, if you invest in a small scope with limited performance. This does not mean to say that the small aperture scopes, produced by reputable manufacturers, are not of good quality, some are, but they do have limitations :)

Hi and welcome - Skywatcher reflectors are great I think - in my view the bigger aperture reflectors are more fun for visual as they are cheap and have little colour aberration which always irritates if you increase power and apo refractors cost too much ! -best wishes with your project - Tony.

Heya Max and welcome from Norway  :smiley: .

I started out with Skywatcher Heritage 130p and was (is) very pleased with its performance considering the price and size.

I still use it alot even after I bought a bigger scope.

Good luck with your choice of telescope.

Rune

Hi Max & Welcome to SGL.  I would go for a Dobsonian, you get more aperature for your money.  They start at around £90 on FLO 's site (First Light Optics) & you wouldn't have to worry about an unsteady tripod.  Mind you I am prejudiced. :grin:

Hi max & welcome

I would agree with Ian J above - and also with purdo above.

If you keep an eye out on the 2nd hand section you could pick up a bargain :).   You might also want to contact your local club.   They might have an open night where you could check out different scopes.

Good morning and thank you all so much for your advice and recommendations :-) It's nice to know there are lovely people around who are willing to help!

I have a flaw ( nothing to do with being female :-)) in that when I set my mind on a new hobby or project, I want to start NOW, and sometimes that's detrimental because rush purchases can be made and I end up disappointed. This is one reason I joined the forum. To gain advice and help. And thank you all for that.

I'll have a look at the scopes suggested, FLO and the used section and go from there.

Have a fab day!

Max

Archived