Narrowband

TeamViewer 10 - Can it be used without internet connection?

Photosbykev

I'm trying to connect my laptop (win7) to a tablet (win8.1) so I can use TeamViewer to remote control the tablet from the laptop. I can get the connection and remote the tablet in the house because they will link via the home wifi  router which does have internet access and dchp to allocate IP addresses.

If I try to the same thing out in the field where there is zero internet and I'm only using the wifi adaptors on the laptop and tablet they won't connect even if I select Use Lan connections exclusively.

Is this type of remote control actually possible? or am I wasting my time trying to remote control the tablet from the laptop in this situation? If it is possible please "Help !" :)

Thanks Pete, I was doing that and it was giving the devices the same IPs of 127.0.0.1 which is just a loop back IP of the local device so no good. However if you do connect the laptop to itself you get an awesome display reminencsent of the old top of the Pops graphics lol

I've just noticed this line on that page To activate the LAN mode in TeamViewer full version and Host module:

I'm using the personal free version so it might not be possible without buying the full version?

I used to assign different static ip addresses on the same subnet...  although they were all connected either wired or wirelessly to the same router  The address range  used for the static addresses was excluded from the DHCP pool .. All this was about 4 years ago now so memory might be playign tricks...

You need to set your laptop up as a wireless access point. There are free apps only a google away or something like this..

http://www.firewall.cx/microsoft-knowledgebase/windows-xp-7-8/968-windows-7-access-point.html

Not tried using win7 but i connect wirelessly to my win xp scope computer with my tablet using this method. No, cables, no routers, no internet... no problem

Also, why mess with teamviewer when windoze has perfectly functional RDP built in?

Edited by Dave_D

Nail it and it is so neat :)

Sp@ce_d comment about using a mobile router was the clue I needed

I have a TP-Link MR-3040, which is a battery/usb powered mobile router, which has been flashed for using with an Android programme called DSLRController. This programme allows me to control the DSLR from an Android tablet wirelessly. The TP-link MR-3040 is also an Access Point (the lightbulb moment lol) which isn't affected by the custom firmware.

I set the MR-3040 router as an access point, connected the laptop and tablet to the Access Point network and Teamviewer 10 sees the proper IP addresses allocated by the AP i.e. 192.168.1.xxx and it works straight out of the box :) :)

I'm sure there are alternative methods offered above that might not need the mobile router but as I have a couple of them and the remote control is stable and quick I'm a happy bunny.

There you go Pete, for the StarParty no more eye strain trying to see what the HP Stream 7 display is saying and a hands-off way of checking progress and setting up exposure plans.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2015 at 09:19, Photosbykev said:

Nail it and it is so neat :)

Sp@ce_d comment about using a mobile router was the clue I needed

I have a TP-Link MR-3040, which is a battery/usb powered mobile router, which has been flashed for using with an Android programme called DSLRController. This programme allows me to control the DSLR from an Android tablet wirelessly. The TP-link MR-3040 is also an Access Point (the lightbulb moment lol) which isn't affected by the custom firmware.

I set the MR-3040 router as an access point, connected the laptop and tablet to the Access Point network and Teamviewer 10 sees the proper IP addresses allocated by the AP i.e. 192.168.1.xxx and it works straight out of the box :):)

I'm sure there are alternative methods offered above that might not need the mobile router but as I have a couple of them and the remote control is stable and quick I'm a happy bunny.

There you go Pete, for the StarParty no more eye strain trying to see what the HP Stream 7 display is saying and a hands-off way of checking progress and setting up exposure plans.

Pete,

did you connect the TP-link router to the laptop with Cat5 cable for changing to Access Point on the webpage setup? Also, did you use the DSLR Controller SSID name and the same password for connecting to your DSLR? I have the same TP-link router that has been flashed for the DSLR.

thanks,

Wayne

• 1 year later...

You'll probably find your router at home is the DHCP server, so when you are out in the field neither of your machines will be getting an IP address, so TeamViewer won't work.  You need to make one of your machines the DHCP server so it can run as a stand alone network away from the router and the 2 machines can talk to each other.

If you connect both of the machines together with a CAT5 or 5e, etc... cable, then you should be able to create a sort of LAN.  You would then be able to use Microsoft Terminal Services as a host on the tablet to connect to it from the lappy.