SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lenses?

Huygens consist of only 2 lenses. They are likely what Galileo was stuck with in the early 17th century. They are the simplest design and, image qulity-wise, the worst. A Ramsden would be a step up, though you don't want those either. I'd suggest a Plossl.

Clear Skies,

Dave

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If cash is tight I would throw what you can afford at one item at a time (thats kind of what my 9yo and I did with her Xmas 100p Newt) rather than "buy cheap buy twice"

Replaced our 10mm with a 9mm SW LER and that seems a bit better, but not loads. Got a Revelation 1.5x 2x  Barlow from Astroboot (still listed under misc) and that seems really pretty good - and really nicely made. Astroboot also list a 12mm GSO (same as Revelation) Plossl for not much money, which you might find to your liking (has short eye relief like you 10mm but clearer). But remember a 25mm Barlowed is effectively a 12.5mm so you might want to hold out for other GSO/Revelation bargains

Where is the best place to look online for lenses?

Buying used can often save you a fair bit. We, meaning amateur astronomers, seem to look after gear in my experience, so with careful buying one can often end up with a bargain. I've used Astro Buy and Sell, Ebay (with care, as an item which seems too good to be true often isn't! ), Astroboot and SGL Classifieds..... The latter's good because you are buying within the family so to speak!

Those Revelation ep's on Astroboot seem to be generating good responses.

Buying new, I along with many others wholeheartedly recommend FLO. They're superb. Also telescope.com, Sky's the Limit, and a host of others (check out the Supplier Reviews on SGL). Good hunting :)

Where is the best place to look online for lenses?

SGL sponsor FLO can help you out. Personally I would buy the Baader Classic Q 2.25x barlow for 45 pounds, which offers 2.25x and 1.3x maq. Your stock EP's should be good for now and this barlow just might improve the viewing experience through them.

I was shocked how well my "Super 25" EP worked with an OIII (@ f4.8) and I am also pleased at it's performance through my Baader barlow.

Scope cooling, observing objects near the zenith and many more things will help you get the most out of your scope.

Archived