Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Dyptorden

Help protecting Nikon DSLR's sensor

The threads in the opening of a Canon body permit clip filters and "protectors" to be used. Nikon doesn't have them. Must admit I ask myself, protect from what?

• Like 1

Protection from dust... especially when manipulating (connecting\disconnecting) it outside.

The Baader model I've hyperlinked in the previous post has a clear filter attached to the T-Ring.

I am looking for something similar for Nikon.

Many extensions, rings, adapters have threads for filters, just not for Nikon INSIDE the camera body.

I know that kalasinman... I just need a T-Ring for Nikon that can use "Clear filters" (filters that actually do nothing but protect).

TBH unless your going to buy a clear filter that is of equal optical quality to your lenses I wouldn't bother.

I'm always changing lenses 'in the field' and occasionally need to clean my sensor because of a dust bunny.

The parts catalogue from the site you linked to shows for both Canon and Nikon. I'd contact the vendor and ask for confirmation.

The parts catalogue from the site you linked to shows for both Canon and Nikon. I'd contact the vendor and ask for confirmation.

I've contacted Baader asking them whether they have a similar product for Nikon, and their answer was:

"Sorry - no.

Nikon requires a shorter T-Ring - there is no space left for this solution like we make for Canon.

Best regards,"

So I am still looking for a workaround... or a solution from another brand.

Still nobody has ideeas?

Sounds like an unescessary additional optic in the optical chain. To be honest I wouldn't worry about dust getting in there (unless you're in a desert!). General cleanliness practices will help- like blowing off your filters and extension tubes with an air blower before assembly etc.

The sensor will get the odd dust particle on it- but it's not a disaster and can be blown off with clean air in a second.

• Like 2

I just keep a 2"LPR screwed to the telescope end of my 2" T-mount on my Canon. Don't see why you can't do the same with a Nikon.

NigelM

I use a coma corrector with my D7100 and that works fine for being outside.  You may consider something similar if needed.

Prior to that i have a 2" tube screwed on with a LP filter on teh end so that was a similar affair I suppose