Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding setup.

K3ny0n

Morning,

So from finally getting a NEQ6 and a QHY5 I'm just wondering what you guys think would be my best option to guide.

As I understand it I can use PHD to guide using the ST4 port from the mount to camera then from the camera to a laptop using the USB.

I have previously had EQMOD on a eq5 so where does it fit in to all this or do I only need EQMOD if I want to remotely control the scope from a laptop. So would that mean I wouldn't need it at all for the guiding aspect?

Jut trying to get my head around it all so I can imagine there might be a few more questions to follow..

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The better route would be get EQMod working with CdC or Stellarium, then get PHD working as a stand alone guiding set-up without EQMod, then combine both so EQMod runs with PHD run together  under EQMod's Pusle guiding, you will be surprised how easy it all works.....check out the EQMod help files and video's on YouTube...

Yes you can use eqmod and guide using pulse guiding, this allows you to guide without the st 4 cable, works perfectly well and is easy to setup, I now use PhD 2 ,

As for remote setup you can use teamviewer to talk between the two pcs.

It sounds difficult at first setting up for guiding but it is so easy once a few settings have been made in the PhD brain,

My guiding from startup to guiding takes less than a minute to do.

Hi Rob, I quite successfully use the method in your first post but as Tinker says you can integrate software to produce a more versatile arrangement. PHD2 now has built in drift alignment which is very easy to get on with. If you do use the simple method make sure you select 'On camera' as the set up option in PHD.

Thanks for the replies.

So can I use the st4 port and phd to guide then have eqmod just for remote operation?

I think I am getting both options crossed somewhere.

Rob

I think you can, but you need to make sure pulse guiding is off in eqmod and on camera is selected in PhD. Not sure why you want this though as using eqmod and pulse guiding gets rid of a cable as you don't need the st4 cable. The integration with Cartes de Ciel works well too. Worth checking out.

Right, I finally see how it all connects together, I'll get reading on pulse guiding and what is needed.

So just to clarify, my guide camera will only have one lead going from the qhy5 to USB on my laptop, then I would have the mount connected to the laptop using my serial to USB adapter then I would use CdC for remote control of the scope and eqmod doing the guiding?

Rob

Pretty much, though you need to have PHD or PHD2 running and connected to eqmod. PHD will tell eqmod how to send the pulses. Oh, and you need to have "Server Mode" enabled in PHD

My rutine, after I make sure everything's connected and showing up in devices is to open CdC and connect to the mount. Eqmod will come up at the same time. Start PHD, and you should see "Server Started". You can then connect your guide camera and mount. I only start looping in PHD when everything else is running and I'm ready to image.

Just a update from testing indoors tonight.

I've got everything connected up, laptop with CdC talking to the mount and got the QHY5 with PHD2. Everything seems okay with control from the laptop to the mount which is slewing ect and the guide camera connected to PHD2 with a image of some sort. I adjusted the guide camera exposure time just to see if i got some king of image. Took some dark frames also. 

With the image below do you think everything seems okay to try it out when the skies clear. 

Pretty happy tonight as this is the first time I have got everything together, connected and potentially ready to go.  :grin:  :grin:

post-18724-0-17121200-1422474576_thumb.j

Rob.

Archived