Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CGEM Motor Board

JimS

Hi all,

Decided to do a 'spring clean' and set up all my gear and check over everything. Set up my CGEM as normal, added the OTA and then plugged in HC and power. Everything was fine and did slewed fine. Walked away for five minutes, came back and had errors 'No response 17' and 'No repsonse 16'. checked the firmware on the HC and the MC board is showing '?.??' for both entries.

Tried turning on and off but no improvement. Is this s totally dead MC board or will flashing the firmware work? I've got a USB to RS232 cable on order.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I asked because if it is not the firmware playing up, you may have had a power serge? But if you are using a fused 12V cigarette lighter type connection that would be unlikely, but if not, it may be a possibility?  In which case you may have blown the board.  After checking the firmware, I would also check both the power cable and the HC cable, to see if both are working?

Thanks for the responses Simon.

Tested all connections and tried to flash the MC firmware but I cannot get the software to find a telescope. I will be ordering a new board from FLO tomorrow morning.

You have likely thought about this already but a factory reset might be worth a try ?  :smiley: I have a cgem with gremlins, mine will start an uncontrolled slew sporadically needing a power off to stop. :rolleyes:  

I had similar issues last year and had a faulty encoder diagnosed, ended up ordering a new motor and it was sorted perfectly.

Received a new Motor Board via First Light yesterday and installed. Powered up the scope and have had exactly the same errors.

I've flashed the Hand Control a couple of times and it is on version 5.xx. Still showing MC versions as ?.??. I cant contact the scope via the hand control to flash the MC board via the hand controller. Could this be a fault with the hand controller or have I been stupidly unlucky with a second dodgy MC board?

I have now ordered a programming cable and I will attempt to talk to the MCB directly. Any other suggestions?

Triple checked the power supply and it is over 13V so that is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally all sorted!

Managed to order a second hand NXS hand controller from eBay and flashed it CGEM. Worked straight away. Very happy.

Even better is that FLO have been fantastic in their support and and happily accepted a return on the now superfluous motor board for a full refund. Top marks to them and I would post a review if I had enough posts......

So now an apology is in order for the rubbish weather recently, as I am sure newly repaired scopes are just as bad as new purchases. My bad....!

Archived