Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.



Connecting my Canon T5i to my Skywatcher 80ED

Recommended Posts

I have been reading till my brain has turned to mush, and decided (for the moment) that long term I am going to pick up a CCD. In the near term however, I'd like to be able to snap some pics through the 80ED with my T5i. It was a terrible chore to hold the T5i up to the eye piece and try not to shake at all when viewing Jupiter last night.

I know I need a Tring, is this the right one/type? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000237C9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I believe I also need a nose piece to go from the Tring to the scope, but I am not exactly sure what to be looking for. Could anyone link me the right product?

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the standard 2" focuser then this 2" nosepiece will screw into the (correct) Canon EOS adaptor that you linked to in your post.


Or here is a USA dealer with stock (at higher price).



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The T5i is perhaps better known as the 700D which may help when looking for accessories.

Once hooked up it should offer better pics than a CCD but may lack functionality e.g. stacking.

It should connect to 2-in or 1.1/4-in by a screw-on adaptor tube or by a nose but you may want to use a Barlow in front which probably means 1.1/4-in fittings.

The adaptor may screw straight on to the focuser tube.

I prefer to have a Barlow on there since it keeps the sensor sealed up and kept clean.

The Amazon T-ring shown is EOS to T2 (T-thread) which is a 42mm metric thread (not the Praktica M42 lens mount)

This adaptor should screw straight on to a Barlow T-adaptor but you may need an extension tube depending on back focus and whether you can or want to fit an eyepiece inside.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrific! Thank you both so much, I've got the following two things ordered.

Celestron 93419 T-Ring for 35 mm Canon EOS Camera

Celestron T Adapter/Barlow 1.25 Universal

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a skywatcher 80ED and a canon 450d.

I use this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-field-flattener.html (acts an extension tube and helps flatten the field) with a Canon T ring adapter, which threads on the end of this.  Then slot the whole ting into the 80 ED tube.

Edited by SkyExplorer

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.