SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please help identify a book

DRT

It doesn't have an introduction by Carl Sagan, but is there anything in particular you want me to check from the book that might help?

Do you have the book entitled "The Solar System" - if so, perhaps you could photograph and post a couple of the illustrations of the planets to see if I recognise them, please?

The book I am thinking of was before the days of high resolution photographs of the planets so most were illustrations and only a few pictures of the Moon. I think there was a chapter on Voyager 1 and 2 but I think it was written prior to launch.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try Bookfinder.com. If you remember the title accurately, it will give you everything with that title on the used market. There will be thousands of books entitled "The Solar System," however.

Thanks for the suggestion, Warthog, but believe it or not my obsession with books runs even deeper than my obsession with astronomy. Bookfinder.com is my daily companion :wink:

Do you have the book entitled "The Solar System" - if so, perhaps you could photograph and post a couple of the illustrations of the planets to see if I recognise them, please?

The book I am thinking of was before the days of high resolution photographs of the planets so most were illustrations and only a few pictures of the Moon. I think there was a chapter on Voyager 1 and 2 but I think it was written prior to launch.

Only have the 'Atlas of the Solar System' pictured above.  It has a lot of illustrations, and a few photographs of the planets up to Saturn, so might not be that book.

DRT, if older books are of interest I can heartily recommend 'Pleasures of the Telescope' by Garrett Putman Serviss, published around 1901-7 (I think). Available on Kindle, free but sadly minus charts. Lovely writing on the stars and DSO's. I'm sure it may turn up at Abe's or similar. I must look for a copy myself :)

Archived