Narrowband

Please help identify a book

DRT

I was born in 1965. I remember being given a book for Christmas when I was at Primary School (so probably published between 1970 and 1977) that I think was called The Solar System. It was a large format (blue?) hardback filled with full page illustrations of the planets, the Sun, comets etc with non-scientific explanations of what current knowledge of the solar system and the universe was all about. It might or might not have had an introduction by Carl Sagan.

Can anyone remember this book? If so can you remember who wrote / published it?

Any information greatly received as I would love to track one down as mine has been lost.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, but definitely not that one. The one I had was a bit more for grown-ups. The illustrations were stunning, at least for their time.

It was also a much more substantial book, about an inch or an inch and a half thick and around 15" x 9" in size.

The only one that comes to mind for me would be 'The Travellers Guide to the Solar System' its been revised a few times.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Grand-Tour-Travelers-System/dp/0761135472  My original one had a blue cover under its white outer wrap.

Thanks for the Ladybord book images by the way - I had that as a child and it takes me back to the smell of Plasticene, the taste of warm milk and the fun of Cuisenaire blocks.

15p!! How times have changed! A quick Google suggests the 1965 1st ed went for 2s 6d (= 12.5p). I love the illustration style from the 50s and 60s

Louise

I think there is a pre-decimal price under the black 'censored' stripe next to the 'revised price' stamp!

You might be onto something!

That illustration of Saturn looks familiar. I could only find one copy of Hardy's "The Solar System" online and have ordered it - from France!

Thanks for the pointer.

One thing that this thread has resulted in is a realisation of quite how many books with this title have been published. I might order one from the 19th century just for fun and to see how our knowledge has evolved through time and exploration.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far. I have two books incoming and will report back when they arrive.

Archived