Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3.2mm BST Explorer/Starguider eyepiece- Any good?

Donkeiller

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

I believe, say, a 6mm 42 degree afov eyepiece would show less coma than a 6mm 100 degree

..... visually It would, there's less distance from axis to the field edge on the 42°  but I'm sure coma is  associated with and all to do with the focal ratio of the scope, rather than eyepiece's focal length. The faster the Newtonian scope,  the steeper the angle of the cone of light produced from the objective, which also has other anomalies ( not just coma )  that an eyepiece has to contend with, the reason some eyepieces cost an absolute fortune, but correct the imperfections inherent in the scope?

A 21mm should show more coma due to the wider field, however its quite possible that a 21mm Ethos could show less coma than your 6mm 42° due to the corrective ability of the Ethos design on a properly collimated scope, the reason they cost so much!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Charic said:

due to the corrective ability of the Ethos design

I don't think that's the case, eyepieces are well corrected (or not) for astigmatism but don't correct for coma.

.....my bad! I thought the Ethos offered more?
Turns out the Ethos is  only corrected to give the largest, flattest and  best  corrected visual field in the industry, according to their own information!
Ethos users can facilitate the use of their Paracorr coma corrector should they wish, so could any other user.

11 minutes ago, Charic said:

What we really need is Donkeiller to buy his eyepiece and settle his own question, while were hijacking this thread ( not intentionally ) :happy9:

I think he has! 

Yes, apologies, we have done a good job getting from a 3.2mm BST to a 21mm Ethos!

Archived