SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Economical options in astrophotography for shooting easy targets

With the light payload of the 130pds, there will be zero difference between the HEQ5 and the EQ6 in terms of tracking accuracy. The EQ6 would only be a better idea if you ever want to use a large scope or more than one scope at once. 

There are good and bad reviews of every mount from my research, but one thing the HEQ5's and EQ6's win at is online guides for fixing issues. I've learn't this the hard way. 

Thanks a lot Chris for guiding me. Your feedback on HEQ5 and EQ6 (from Skywatcher) has instilled confidence in me. I'll plan for EQ6....hope all goes well...I have been saving for last 6 months for this equipment.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the sirius is a rebadged  heq5 and the atlas is a rebadged eq6 they are both highly regarded mounts at the budget end of astrophotography mounts.  I have never heard of an imaging scope being overmounted  so it would do no harm to put the 130pds on an eq6 and would allow space to upgrade to something heavier in future if you wanted. So certainly if you can afford it go for the eq6 or atlas but the 130pds will be very comfortable on a sirius/heq5

the sirius is a rebadged  heq5 and the atlas is a rebadged eq6 they are both highly regarded mounts at the budget end of astrophotography mounts.  I have never heard of an imaging scope being overmounted  so it would do no harm to put the 130pds on an eq6 and would allow space to upgrade to something heavier in future if you wanted. So certainly if you can afford it go for the eq6 or atlas but the 130pds will be very comfortable on a sirius/heq5

Thanks Rowan. Your's and Chris's feedback are similar. Yes, I'll plan for EQ6 with a 130 pds. This will allow me to piggyback another a guidescope in future on this 130pds. At the same time, I can try 10" also on some brighter deep sky objects which will require 2-5 sec exposures.....and also for pure visual observation allowing to keep the object in view for a longer duration. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am posting two pictures. One of Jupiter and the other is the Moon. Bodh are shot through my 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian telescope using Canon 1200D at Prime Focus. Please share your candid views about the photos and your suggestions on how can I improve.post-38054-0-93473300-1423403110_thumb.jpost-38054-0-55545400-1423403084_thumb.j

Best of luck with the AP Pankaj, you're obviously pretty well along with it anyway. I'd be proud to show that lunar image anywhere.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the appreciation. I was planning to purchase a EQ6 (alomost finalized now). It will arive somewhere by end of February. I hope the pics taken with it are better. BTW do you know of any website where we can see attempts in AP by other persons across the globe and ALSO mentioning what equipment has been used to take those pics.

Here is Jupiter with its 4 moons. Taken on 8th Feb 2015 from the light polluted sky of New Delhi using 10" dobsonian and Canon 1200D with 2x Barlow. Shutter - 1/125, ISO-200. Final image was tweaked in Photoshop Lightroom.post-38054-0-06081700-1423497490_thumb.j

Hi Dave. Thanks for the appreciation. I was planning to purchase a EQ6 (alomost finalized now). It will arive somewhere by end of February. I hope the pics taken with it are better. BTW do you know of any website where we can see attempts in AP by other persons across the globe and ALSO mentioning what equipment has been used to take those pics.

You'll find all that on the imaging sections here plus all the info on equipment used, settings etc. And we're an international bunch too.

I want to try astrophotography initially with a DSLR (prime focus) rather than anything more complicated involving hooking up to a laptop.

I have been considering an astro-adapted Canon EOS 600d which, although expensive, has had good reviews, and I like the idea of the variable angle monitor. Interested in any comments.

May also try piggybacking, in which case, what's the best lens?

Thanks

A4

Celestron 9.25 SCT

AVX mount

Various eyepieces

William Optics binoviewer

A sense of wonder

Archived