sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Filing your subs

brrttpaul

Banging my head against a wall here as there has to be an easier way. Went out tonight to a darkish site and got over excited I started off ok taking subs of orion, the comet etc but in my excitement I lost where I was with my subs so I got 300 subs in RAW that I cant view in lightroom without importing them the individual numbers are like DS8764, there must be an easier way to go about it, so far all i can come up with is to change the camera from RAW to JPEG for one shot so I know where one finishes and another starts

Banging my head against a wall here as there has to be an easier way. Went out tonight to a darkish site and got over excited I started off ok taking subs of orion, the comet etc but in my excitement I lost where I was with my subs so I got 300 subs in RAW that I cant view in lightroom without importing them the individual numbers are like DS8764, there must be an easier way to go about it, so far all i can come up with is to change the camera from RAW to JPEG for one shot so I know where one finishes and another starts

if using a laptop, I save in separate folders. start with a folder called 2015-01-24 m42 for instance then inside make sub folders lights/darks/bias etc. If saving on camera, I'll save both raw+jpg.

Your Nikon should have come with a software package. Mine had ViewNX2 which is also a free download from the net. It lets you see the thumbnails of the NEF files and do a batch rename. Just select the pictures you want, rightclick and choose rename. It will come up with a dialog window where you can choose your new names.

Hmmm its strange, as I said I have to card slots the first is RAW and the 2nd one I have three choices (overflow, back up, RAW+JPEG), I thought I had ticked jpeg and just looked and I had so no idea why i only had RAW files on it. View NX2 I only ever used once and completly forgot about it as I never got on with it , there was talk of it being obsolete soon if I remember (not sure). The short exposure tip seems the quickest fix I will remember that next time.

Thx once again great help peeps