Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to get materials and what do I need

beamer3.6m

I would like to build a pier in my garden. However due to the layout of the plot the best position for the pier in terms of clear viewable skies is behind the garage.

This is not usually a problem except that I need to see over the garage to gain a view to the south.

Beneficial the position of the pier will also be Shielded from the house/rest of the garden so the aesthetics of it is not too much of a problem although I would prefer it to look decent as would my wife.

Having looked into this I appreciate that viewing over a flat roof is not ideal but needs must.

I consider steel pipe would be ideal but my garage is around 8 feet high so a long pier is required.

What do you guys recommend and where can I get it at a reasonable price.

I'm ok with pouring concrete etc but cannot weld.

Is an alternative a wooden pier?

I use a Oak pier in a Obby, it doesn't move, but if it or any wood were outside the wood will expand with damp or rain, then dry out quicker on the sunny side this will cause it to bend, then when it gets a dry spell it will dry all round and bend back, you will be for ever adjusting the Polar Alignment, if you have a pier as high as 8' its going to be a bit iffy looking through the focuser...??

The problem is how to manage the adjustments and how would you keep the scope etc when the pier is 8 foot off the ground?

Even with concrete you may need to dig down quite a way and possibly have side supports to prevent the concrete from cracking if the column is thin. You'll need rebar in there so you may need a thicker pier and thicker rebar.

You suggest that you need the 8-foot height for the pier in order to see over your garage, to the south.

First of all, the garage will generate thermal currents in the immediate air as it cools down after dark, so at least initially during an imaging night you may find other directions give better views.

Second, do you have the option of building something on top of the garage roof? You say the rig will only be used for imaging, so some sort of "dog-house" style/sized contained might alleviate the need for a pier, completely.

The garage is 8 feet high - how far away from the garage will the pier be situated? I find that there's little point imaging below 20 degrees above the horizon.

You can use that to work out how high your scope needs to be mounted, then using the height of your mount, how high your pier needs to be. Quite probably much shorter than 8 feet.

Archived