Hi all from Aberdeenshire

salas

Hi All,

I just created an account last night but I've been reading numerous threads on here for a couple of months learning and trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to do - just observe or image or both. I purchased a National Geographic (wait! don't stop reading) mini dob for £40.00 in a supermarket in November and to be honest I was blown away, especially when I turned to a really bright star with it, which also had some very neatly aligned smaller stars right next to it - no way thats Jupiter! Hooked.

Only a few weeks ago I turned my DSLR to the sky on a very wobbly tripod and took a 30 second exposure in the general direction of Deneb and my jaw hit the ground when I transferred the image to PC. That was it then decision made - imaging (of course it would be the most expensive option)

So starting small - scope wise, my ST80 arrived on Friday and in honesty I thought the view through the viewfinder was awesome so off to a good start :smiley: . I've just thrown max budget at an HEQ5 Syntrek from FLO with the view of it being a long term investment and to cover expansion plans in the future. The ST80 will be rigged up first so I can get used to the set up and learn the ropes, then maybe a 130PDS or ED APO for decent images. This is going to get expensive. On the upside this is probably the first time I've seen winter as being beneficial. Anyways thats my "brief" intro.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL from another imager! If you've not already done so, get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website. It's something of an imagers bible, especially if DSO's are going to be your focus. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Steve, welcome to SGL :)

The mount you have is a good choice and will get you started, and so is the 80. Eventually you'll probably go for the ED80 if you are into imaging. The 130 is very capable in experienced hands - there are some cracking images on the site taken with that very scope.

HI Steve and welcome to the forum. +1 for the book, 'Making Every Photon Count' and in my opinion should form part of your essential kit list. It's a comprehensive guide that will help ensure you buy the most appropriate kit for the type of astrophotography that you intend to do which will ultimately save you money - don't want your first picture of a black hole being the one in your wallet!  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived