SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello! From South Wales

garybeswig

I have a Skywatcher Skyhawker 1145p synscan goto telescope,Olivon eyepiece and filter set, collimating eyepiece, an Antares 1.25" combined T-mount camera adaptor/ eyepiece projection unit and a T-mount for Nikon SLR's. My question is how do you focus the image with the camera fitted and an eyepiece in the camera adaptor? Thanks!!!!

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum. Looks like you are going to be developing an interest in astrophotography or as it is often referred to as the "Dark Art". :grin:  :grin:  If that is the case then a book by Steve Richards called "Making Every Photon Count" should certainly be on your list of research material as it is a very comprehensive guide to all the things that you need to know. Astro 'Imaging' isn't difficult but it certainly has a steep learning curve at the beginning which gets easier as your experience grows. You might also want to consider posting your question over on this part of the imaging section as you are more likely to get more responses there than here in the welcome section.  :smiley:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

HI Garry and welcome to SGL.

I am not onto imaging or photography, but for your focusing problem I believe you need to acquire what is known as a Bhatinov mask, assuming your camera has a focusing screen. The mask fits over the front of the telescopes aperture. These are sold by FLO see top of page. To focus you point your assembled system at a very bright star, you should see two lines as an illuminated X with a vertical line which will move as you focus, when it is in the exact centre of the X, your system has reached focus HTH. There are possibly other ways, but it would be better if you re- posted your question into the imaging or photographic sections for advise, as you should get a better response than here in the Welcome section :)

Archived