SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

possible choice for a new scope

okay so I am checking the details on the orion skyscanner 100mm reflector. I like that I can use it on either a tripod or tabletop. however I am used to handing refractors.. not reflectors.. I am saving money for a new scope and if i'm lucky new scope plus eyepiece kit. 

okay so I am checking the details on the orion skyscanner 100mm reflector. I like that I can use it on either a tripod or tabletop.

I would rather save some more to get a decent scope. That 100mm skyscanner has 400mm focal length, that's focal ratio f4 (400/100=4), it's way too fast for your eyepieces (or any eyepieces you can get by buying an eyepiece kit). a 130mm f5 dobsonian will be a much better choice than this sysscanner, if you're interested in DSO hunting; or if the Moon and planets are your primary tagets, a 4" f11 refractor will be better.

Save more to get a single good one is better than getting many so-so stuff, that's better way to save money, IMHO.

If table-tops attract, rather than the Skyscanner check out Orion's two Starblasts, 4.5 and 6/6i. I love the sheer portability and ease of use of these modest little beasts. Going by the maxim that the best scope is the one most used, my 6i is almost a perfect companion for my situation in terms of storage, portability, speed of set up and so on. I mostly use use mine sitting on top of a tripod, but the option to use a crate, the ground, a (sturdy) table, upturned builder's bucket etc etc just make using it a frequent pleasure...shhh, just don't tell cloud-central!

I can only advise you to be patient. One thing I will say is that the jump from 90mm to 100mm is unlikely to make you go "wow". A jump to 150mm will though. I know that you have said before that storage space is limited, but you might be suprised at how little space a 150mm Dobsonian takes up.

Archived