SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My try at NGC1333

Rudeviewer

I think this target will make my PI skills improve for sure.  This is the toughest target ive run into so far.  I saw post of it here that was just awesome and had to try it.

3hrs 40mins total on 80mm Barska Magnus APO

12x10min

20x5min

flats and darks

I will continue to work on this target for a bit I think based on the challenge that it has presented.

post-34263-0-31327100-1422056265_thumb.p

I'm glad you liked my image and it inspired you to give this one a go!

Looks like you have a good start, and you are right about the target improving processing skills, i certainly feel like i learned a lot processing mine. Just make sure to pour a lot of hours into it if you can. These dusty targets really seem to bring out the noise. I finally ordered a CCD after i finished mine, never want to deal with noise like that again!

Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss any techniques

Callum

Thank you iksose,  you must have great processing skills.  I found it terribly difficult to bring the brownish clouds out of this mess.  I am hoping with more time the clouds will be able to be pulled out.  I will prob try two more 3 hr nights on it.  Any pointers you can give me for pixinsight you can give me on this image?

Any pointers you can give me for pixinsight you can give me on this image?

If you are not already doing so i would suggest you extract the luminance from the original RGB to work with. Thats something i have only just started doing since i bought PI and it works great. The image above would make a nice RGB layer as the star and cloud colours look nice. Preform noise reduction ect on the LUM image and stretch it. Then remove stars from the image and finally uncheck the first 5 wavelet layers in ATWT. This will leave you with a large scale structure layer i.e all the clouds. You can then enhance the clouds easier and give them some contrast before re-combining with the original LUM. This is a very basic description on this method mind you ;) 

If you manage a few more nights on target it will help a bunch. Noise is your worst enemy at the moment, it will make processing very hard!

Callum

Thank you iksose,  you must have great processing skills.  I found it terribly difficult to bring the brownish clouds out of this mess.  I am hoping with more time the clouds will be able to be pulled out.  I will prob try two more 3 hr nights on it.  Any pointers you can give me for pixinsight you can give me on this image?

Have a look at this. I am sorry to say that it maybe a little involved but you get the idea of what is possible and how much learning is required.

Hope you find it of some use. Click on " How to enhance nebula without pushing the stars " http://www.werbeagentur.org/oldwexi/PixInsight/PixInsight.html

A.G

Well I tried extracting the L channel and re combining it after noise reduction and a bit of different processing.  I think I got the colors a bit better due to the dust clouds not being reddish.  Still Noisy.  More Data!

post-34263-0-90961900-1422399559_thumb.p

Well I tried extracting the L channel and re combining it after noise reduction and a bit of different processing.  I think I got the colors a bit better due to the dust clouds not being reddish.  Still Noisy.  More Data!

attachicon.gifngc1333rgbalignedPItoPS.png

See if you can Google for " Synthetic Lum " . This is the preferred way of adding Lum to an RGB according to the PI Gurus. I can't make head or tail of it since as usual getting a simple answer out of the PI egg heads is not a simple procedure. If you did succeed in sorting the Synth Lum out then this humble mortal would be grateful for any information. Perhaps Harry could shed some light on this as he seems to be in touch with those superior beings in PI and he could state the procedure in a language that we can all understand.

Regards,

A.G

See if you can Google for " Synthetic Lum " . This is the preferred way of adding Lum to an RGB according to the PI Gurus. I can't make head or tail of it since as usual getting a simple answer out of the PI egg heads is not a simple procedure. If you did succeed in sorting the Synth Lum out then this humble mortal would be grateful for any information. Perhaps Harry could shed some light on this as he seems to be in touch with those superior beings in PI and he could state the procedure in a language that we can all understand.

Regards,

A.G

Hi

There is no tech reason why you should extract a lum from a RGB as you have no new information to work with , but if you find it works for you OK :cool:

Now if you are capturing LRGB there can be mileage in the following as long as you capture unbinned ( as I do )

1) Stack all you individual RGB channels separately to get 3 master channels 

2) Add ( not average) all 3 channels together giving you a lum image from the RGB

3) Add this to the Lum you have captured

You now should have a improved Lum image this will give you better SNR than extracting a Lum from a RGB and then adding this to the real Lum

Regards

Harry

Archived