SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from North Herts

Ian J

What a great site and thanks to Astro Baby for her detailed collimation guide, after a week of messing about with a laser collimator which was so far out even afetr I had tried to collimate it.

I looked at A.B's  guide and went out and bought a colli cap and have "by all looks of things " managed to get it fairly well spot on according the guides so thanks again, just wished I had not wasted my money on the laser but lesson learnt.

I'm a real newbie to this but I have always had that allure to look up at the stars in wonder so finally took the plunge and bought a SkyWatcher 200P Dob which I'm really enjoying on those clear nights.

I have a lot to learn but thats part of the fun and enjoyment I get at looking up at the night sky and trying to work out what's what and where and also learning about equipment etc.

Ian

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ian and welome to the forum. Laser collimators can make things a lot easier particularly if you have a long reflecting scope and it is a shame that your particular one also required collimating. If it's new have you thought of getting a replacement or refund? On a more positive note that is a great performing scope you have there and so it will be no surprise to know that's it's the U.K best selling scope, lots of aperture for a modest expense.

Wishing you clear skies for your observing and hope you enjoy your stay here. 

Hi Ian and welcome to the stargazers lounge.

As Janes has said I'd be looking for a replacement or a refund on the laser collimator. Lasers are dead handy if you can't reach the colly bolts whilst looking in the eyepiece.

Oh and welcome to the Dob mob too. 200p, nice one ;)

Hi Ian and welcome to SGL, as you are newcomer to Astronomy, I will mention the often recommended aids to observing, if you havn`t availed yourself of them already. The free program "Stellarium" and the book "Turn Left @ Orion" intended for the small scope user. Both will help you find your way about the night sky and provide you with plenty of information on objects to observe, enjoy :)

Many thanks for the warm welcome and advice, I'm at this very moment downloading Stellarium and have put Turn Left @ Orion on my watch list so thanks Glowjet for that.

I have not completely given up on the laser collimator yet, I made a wooden jig and and did the circle test on a wall 10 feet away and adjusted until the dot stayed in the same place.

Unfortunetely the  beam did not run true but being a very stubburn person I will carry on with it until I get it spot on although for now I'm happy enough using the cap.

Archived