SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon shot

griz11

I shot this last summer with a DSLR and 400mm lens. If I recall its 25 exposures 1/250 at f8. I use Topaz Detail for these instead of a sharpening filter. Detail is a multi level contrast control. Its cheap 40 bucks and there is a full trial so you can find out if it works for you. I love it use it on everything. I use their noise removal tool called denoise as well.

Best%20Moon.jpg

Just shot it for my brother and was so amazed at the crispness and detail I started looking to see if I could use my equip for DSO's and here I am :) Just awesome how much these cameras have come. I went digital very early and the cameras really weren't all that good. No way they would do DSO's most of them didn't have a bulb mode and the ones that did had limits on the total time you could keep the shutter open. I like to do the partial moon shots stuff along the limb really looks cool.

Griz

You know that is something I'm always worried about how things look on other people's monitors. My stuff isn't that high end so I wonder if it looks good on a better monitor. Thought about getting one of those monitor calibration kits but they are really for color not contrast. Sounds like my monitor has a low contrast as it looks good on it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Griz

Griz, do you have a single exposure to look at that has not been processed? might be able to see where the contrast and over sharpening have come from. On my laptop, there are some black cloudy artefacts up by the Apennines & Copernicus. Did you stack any of the exposures?   The effect of the contrast and sharpening do give it quite a dramatic effect. very moody...!

It was just a quick shot its stacked 10 images I think but I left them at my brothers on his computer and just brought home the final. So no telling what is messed up with it actually :)  I usually shoot motorsports and radio controlled race cars.  But its a landmark shot for me becuase it opened my eyes to the potential of using a DSLR for astro imaging and I had most of the stuff I needed to do it. After having to sell my observatory telescopes and all when my health failed it was huge for me. I had my stuff set up to automatically hunt for comets and asteroids. I tried a little imaging but never did get it to work. Bad thing I was starting out with an 11inch SCT. I find imaging wide field with a camera nad lens is so much more relaxed on everything. Great for a low energy old geezer. The crispness and detail blew me away I'd never gotten anything that crisp with the telescope. The next time I took a picture of the moon I was out in the front yard and heard a noise in the garage. It was a 9week old puppy with mites so bad she almost died. Someone had dropped her off in the road. My wife though she had seen a small dog stealing the cat's food. The vet said it wasn't a done deal she was going to pull through but she did and now she is the most entertaining dog I've ever had. I got her from the garage and fed and gave her some water and she sat on my lap while I was taking some moon shots. My legs were covered in whelps the next day and I took her to the vet in 2 more days she had very little hair left on her head and underside.I thought they were ant bites we have bad fire ants here. Poor thing had to stay in a crate for a month but she is great now. Still likes to sit in my lap when I'm imaging. Pretty decent little assistant. Life's little pleasures.

Coda-1.jpg

Griz

I wanted to call her radar :)  Amazing how well she can hear though. Deer will come walking by the house and she is right to the window. Tell you what is big in Tx its the distance you have to drive to get anywhere. I liked Colorado better. Can't deal with the altitude now though. The heat here gets to me and I grew up here. Two years here and two in England till I was a teenager.  We were here when dad retired from the AF so here we stayed. If I had my wish though I'd live in the La Salle mtns on the east side of Moab Ut.

Griz

Archived