Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"New" Cluster Buster

Macavity

Imaging Open Clusters with an 8"/F4 Newt (field 24' x 18') often seems often to give rather unispiring images. :o

To get the impression of a "cluster" requires rather larger framing fields. I have a couple of (late Dad's 70's) telephoto lenses for really big fields, but nothing really "cluster sized" (f = 200 to 400mm with half-inch chip)! :p

I had originally intended to buy a new 70mm / f/6 APO (just within a recent windfall budget?) but decided to upgrade my humble ST102 F5 achromat (new focusser etc.) and buy other needed, albeit a bit boring, stuff! ;)

For this purpose a (focal reduced) ST102 seems to work reasonably well.

I estimate the scope is equivalent to 250mm at about f/2.8? I sense I can 

probably get greater reductions (go faster) without too much distortion?  :evil4:  

Exposures are 100 x 2.56 sec. stacked and variously post-processed.

But no dark subtraction (which usually improves things a bit) this time.

M35...  and little friend

post-539-0-49346300-1422012165.jpg

M38... and little friend

post-539-0-73646700-1422012191.jpg

C50 (Rosetta Nebula) just about... 

post-539-0-93344400-1422012227.jpg

I am moved to experiment in removing the chromatic aberration - Which

I assume accounts for some of the star bloat? (Baader "contrast" filter)  ;)

Definitely a lot of DEW about last night, which rather ruined later efforts.

But I do have a heating tape... once I overcome cold weather lethargy? :D

What was the upgrade, those are nice shots. I have an ST120 which I am considering adding a 10:1 focuser to.

[mentioned somewhere before] I bought one of these (TS/GSO Monorail focuser):

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3945_MONORAIL-2--Refractor-focuser---e-g--for-Skywatcher-96mm-flange.html

A fine thing - Same type as my Newt and MAK. But, as (rather fairly!) noted, quite an

expensive item? I think a better focuser does have merit. "Only you can decide"? :p

As ever, my idea is to keep a VIDEO diary, rather than emulate classical imaging.

I seem to be discovering many new ways to cheat enhance images. Also doing

some 2x2 mosaics. Reducing the size of each image covers a multiplicity of sins? ;)

Aside: bought a filter TRAY and Baader "Clickstop" - Ever trying to make things a

"bit easier"? That's the way the money goes? You're only "young" once! Hmmm... :o

Archived