Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Next Scope

What are you hoping / planning to do with it?

Visual? If so do you want to hunt down faint fuzzies or study the moon / planets?

Imaging? Again DSO? Or lunar / planetary?

All will have very different requirements, getting the wrong 'scope / mount could be an expensive frustration.

recceranger - I'd love to buy that scope but its a little out of my price range! The cheapest I could find was £1300

DaveS - I'm hoping to use the new scope for a bit of everything really. Planetary viewing and imaging is my main objective but I'd also like to view some DSO's.  I've only every really looked at Newtonian reflectors so I know nothing about refractors. As far I understand refractors are a lot more expensive hence me not looking at them at all! 

I've heard a lot of good things about the Skywatcher Explorer 200p but i'd like to know peoples opinions on here and any recommendation would be greatly appreciated

First off, no one scope will do everything, however:

Since you mention imaging I'll say first, get a copy of Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards (Our own steppenwolf) from FLO, and see how far you want to go. Second get the heaviest mount you can afford, I would say HEQ5 *minimum*

Generally, to get started with imaging you'd be looking at a short FL ED refractor, one of the ubiquitous 80mm ED semi-apo jobbies on a HEQ5 Syntrek mount

This mount will also do for lunar / planetary imaging and observing, for both of which something like a Mak 127 might be a good start. The mount will also keep your target centered in the eyepiece / webcam depending on what you're doing. Don't be put off by people telling you equatorial mounts are difficult to understand, they're not in reality.

DSO observing (Unlike imaging) will need a real light bucket, the usual beginers choice being the (Equally ubiquitous) 200mm Newt on a Dobsonian base,as it gives the most apperture for the money though you'll have to push / nudge (Same thing really) it around two axes instead of one. They're no good for DSO (And IMHO planetary) imaging.

Archived