Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry PI and Stellarium DIY finder

nickb2513

I have the celestron German equatorial mount that comes as standard with the astromaster 130. I am looking at the skywatcher explorer 200p with eq5 as an upgrade though!

Have you any suggestions of how I can get the sensors like on the above vids?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I have a Skywatcher 150p on a EQ3-2 mount. I use a webcam in the eyepiece connected to a Raspberry Pi that streams and records video - I have it connected through the home wireless network so i can view the live video from a pc tablet or phone. So far so good. I have also recently brought a Skywatcher enhanced dual axis motor drive. The hand control an has a ST4 connection for a auto- guider. I got to thinking about installing a copy of Stellarium onto the Rpi and making a connection to the ST4 connection on the hand control so that it works as a GoTo control. Do you think this would be possible? I would welcome your thoughts.

Interesting. You will probably have to  do some sort of PEC to linearise the encoders at some point based on the spec's. RS seem to have discontinued this one but do a different type that uses contact via a spring loaded plastic ball. It's the same sort of principle - the ball presses on the outside pushing internal "tracks" together. No hysteresis on these. It might be possible to attract and generate the pressure with some form of ball via a magnet working on the other side of the encoder.

I came across another type of encoder. It's a hall device and detects rotation of a magnet above it.  There were some pages on the web concerning "super hacks" for model servo's. 

This is one form

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mechanical-rotary-encoders/7142693/

This is the chip that does the work but 16bit

http://uk.farnell.com/avago-technologies/aeat-6600-t16/encoder-magnetic-ic-16-bit-program/dp/2213639

The problem as always though is that they aren't linear so the claimed accuracy on the servo hacks is a bit misleading unless they correct it some how.

There is an interesting little program here for printing optical code wheels, also plenty of information on their use

http://www.mindspring.com/~tom2000/Delphi/Codewheel.html#Introduction

I have sometimes wondered if 2 could be used on an axis. The 2nd one geared up to interpolate the readings of the other one. It's also possible to use more than 2 optical sensors to increase the pulse rate. The quadrature one shown has 2 displaced by 1/2 an interval on the encoder wheel. Other fractions can be used as well.

John

-

• 1 month later...

this is an awesome project..nice work..tell me more about that mount...I have Meade 8" f/6 starfinder on an german eq mount. I am planning on replacing the clock drive motor with a stepper and adding a stepper on the dec shaft, along with encoders..to be be beable to drive the whole thing with a Pi in the field would be awesome

Brian K9WIS

Archived