Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Never seen a C-14 huh?? Here you go

So you say you have never seen a C-14 up close to give a size perspective?

Here is My Compustar 14 and the Wife of the guy I got it from for scale measure...

I am 6" tall and without the transport wheels have to stand on tip toes when objects are low toward the Horizon..

I have to admit I had a bit of a reality check when I walked into the garage, as it was the first one I had seen in real life!

I put it together different than the way in the Manual, I pull the non motor fork arm off, then swing the fork to the bottom, I carry a 2 step stool.

I put foam padding on the fork and lay the tube on it. It is fairly easy to bolt it, flip it and do the other side..

Each fork arm is 25 pounds WITHOUT the motor...

I should have kept my LX-200 12", but the optics on this 14 are very, very fine indeed!

post-17711-0-74148500-1421888789_thumb.j

I have seen them on sale in a shop in San Diego once. I first mistook the C11 for a C14, but then spotted the big brother. They are massive. I would prefer one on a german EQ mount. They can be easy to mount if you do it a smart way:

:D

Yep, this is pretty much the technique I use to mount my C14 and it works a treat.  In fact I would say that it is harder to mount my C9.25 than my C14.

Cheers,

Chris

Your right, they are large. Seeing that scope on the fork mount and tripod looks absolutely rediculous. That is not an easy scope to view through. I would not wish to have to use that equipment, sorry, it just looks way too inconvenient.

Ian

Your right, they are large. Seeing that scope on the fork mount and tripod looks absolutely rediculous. That is not an easy scope to view through. I would not wish to have to use that equipment, sorry, it just looks way too inconvenient.

Ian

To be fair though, it's been mounted on a home-made wheelie thingy, which adds a few inches. Plus it's on an equatorial wedge, which will add a heck of a lot of height. You wouldn't use a wedge for visual anyway, so in a visual setup it'd be a lot lower.

So orion61, you're only 6 inches tall, no wonder you have to stand on tip-toes.....

Michael

I was wondering if anybody would catch that... I like to hide Easter eggs in my posts from time to time.... lol

Great catch, you win the Boobie Prize for this week.

You do use the Wedge with that scope. It was made WAY before the AZ\ALT LX-200 style. Surprisingly it is fairly sturdy.

For other answers I have the cone error etched in the arms when putting it together.  Plus those fork arms are 25 pounds each!

On a regular C8 both arms are only 1/2 the tube weight, this is equal.

What is up with the secondary mirror? Is it a coating issue? If so that's easy... carrying an 8" Step stool makes it easy to use for me...

The tripod is NOT adjustable for the bad part, and it HAS to be level, so I carry shims, That scope is 200 Pounds set up, so I have to level before putting up the tube...

I was going to say The guy's wife is only 5' Tall, and that IS a 2" Diagonal attached to it.

That's why it looks so massive.

How much does a scope like that cost used in the UK? I paid $3400.00 for it, but it is in mint condition.

That also included delivery which would have been about $400.00.

I did put another $90.00 in the Updated Y2k chips.

Archived