sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

32mm eyepiece

Hi all,

I've just received the 32mm Skywatcher eyepiece I ordered a few days ago. My other eyepieces are 20mm and 10mm which give me 70x and 140x power respectively. I know that the Pleiades will probably look better through the 32mm, but I was wondering what else I should use it for? Is the Orion Nebula best viewed at a magnification of around 40-50x or higher?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi all,

I've just received the 32mm Skywatcher eyepiece I ordered a few days ago. My other eyepieces are 20mm and 10mm which give me 70x and 140x power respectively. I know that the Pleiades will probably look better through the 32mm, but I was wondering what else I should use it for? Is the Orion Nebula best viewed at a magnification of around 40-50x or higher?

Thanks,

Martin

Me i use a low power EP all the time, just up the power when the DSO will take it......

Same here.

Low magnifications and wide fields of view are nice for viewing both large deep sky objects such as M42, M31, the double cluster, M45 etc, etc. and also to view deep sky object groupings in the same field of view such as the galaxes M81 and M82, the Leo triplet of galaxies M65, M66 and NGC 3638, M97 (the Owl Nebula) and the galaxy M 108. etc.

At the current time the comet Lovejoy Q2 is much better viewed with a low power eyepiece showing a wide field of view as well.

Such eyepieces are also useful for finding a fainter object before applying more magnification to it.

Very useful addition to the toolkit :smiley:

• Like 8

I have a 32mm I use with my C8 most of the time . It's best for low power helping to spot galaxies , nebulaes , star clusters , just about anything . I have a 25mm , 18mm , 12mm , 7.5mm . They are all nice and have a purpose but the 32mm works well with a barlow or without . Too much power puts you past large galaxies and nebulaes . If i had to choose only one it would be my 32mm .

• Like 1

My favorite EP ever was my 32mm GSO. It was perfect for scanning the night sky for DSO's and then i could increase the magnification. I think everyone should have a 30-32mm EP. Many DSO such as the M45 look great with a low powered EP.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I recently bought a 32mm revelation eyepiece for mainly using in my Mak. However i have found that it has now become my most frequently used eyepiece in both the mak and the refractor. Excellent views at such low mag.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. I still haven't had a chance to try it out but I can tell I've made a wise investment from your feedback alone :)

It sounds like it will save me a lot of frustration. I realised recently my finderscope wasn't aligned properly, so after adjusting that and receiving this eyepiece I'm excited to get back out there once the weather allows for it!

Martin

I love my 22mm for most of my general viewing at 1 degrees FOV it is bang on but I would not be without the 30mm Revelation EP to support it. At 1.4 degrees FOV it covers a wide range of viewing as mentioned above and like many on here have had a 32mm Plossl at one point until I got to like wider field views at lower power.

• 2 weeks later...