SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Reading material

wookie1965

I need a good Astronomy related book to read that will help me with my viewing, I have TLAO, Sky and Telescopes pocket guide, I need something that will explain collimation star hopping and then give some examples of easy target from light polluted skies, Thank you good people in advance.

ive got a 6in reflector and in TLAO it shows pictures of what you should see in small scope 3inch the junps to 8 inch when im looking for patterns of stars to hop to there not there and its frustrating ive bought a Telrad which has helped a bit to get me in the right place i could do with a really good star hopping book.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been some great suggestions so far, but here's a book that will inspire you over and over. Starlight Nights, the Adventures of a Star Gazer, by Leslie C Peltier.

Peltier was one of the greatest amateur astronomers of the 20th century and the book brings to life our wonderful hobby. In it the author of this beautiful autobiography takes you on a thrilling journey, explaining how he himself learned his way around the night sky, the telescopes that came his way and the discoveries he made with his modest equipment. This book is a keeper for life and will help keep the fire burning in your heart year after year. It will complement the books mentioned by others beautifully.

Mike

There have been some great suggestions so far, but here's a book that will inspire you over and over. Starlight Nights, the Adventures of a Star Gazer, by Leslie C Peltier.

Peltier was one of the greatest amateur astronomers of the 20th century and the book brings to life our wonderful hobby. In it the author of this beautiful autobiography takes you on a thrilling journey, explaining how he himself learned his way around the night sky, the telescopes that came his way and the discoveries he made with his modest equipment. This book is a keeper for life and will help keep the fire burning in your heart year after year. It will complement the books mentioned by others beautifully.

Mike

I have just checked on Amazon as this sounds like a great book only one problem used ones start from £52  new £69.80 a bit steep.

You might like to list on your wants, a copy of... "Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders", paperback of over 500 pages, which covers each Constellation in detail, what to see, how to find it, charts, explanations, photos, diagrams. Written with the small scope user in mind, s/h copies can be had at quite a reasonable price. This book should go nicely with Robert Garfinkle`s Star Hopping :) 

Every book that has been suggested has been great but i have got

Turn left

pocket sky atlas

backyard astronomy guide

Gem Stars the easy guide to identifying the constellations

An Amateurs guide to observing and imaging the heavens

wonders of the universe

Phillips practical Astromomy

So anything along these lines or a really good read would be great.

Mike

Agree that i want this book but it's super expensive!

It seems Amazon are asking a bit much there, although I have to say its worth every penny. However, the reprint can still be bought for around twenty dollars, which will likely be around the same in pounds, through Sky Publishing. I think the Amazon prices must be for the original 1965 edition. It is also available on line as a free download.

Mike :-)

It seems Amazon are asking a bit much there, although I have to say its worth every penny. However, the reprint can still be bought for around twenty dollars, which will likely be around the same in pounds, through Sky Publishing. I think the Amazon prices must be for the original 1965 edition. It is also available on line as a free download.

Mike :-)

I cannot find Sky publishing either takes me to Sky television or Sky and telescope im going to have to think out the box.

Archived