Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First scope

If it is a 130 and has a focal length of 1000mm and a tube length of 458mm then I would suggest you reconsider.

The design has a barlow type lens in the focuser and this is the cause of many problems.

If it is 130 and a focal length of 650mm and a tube of similar then it should be OK.

If it has a P stuck on it then better still.

I cannot read the details on the side of the scope and no link to see what the given model/specification is.

Close look at the image of the plate (nose on screen) it seems to say 130/650 so it should be OK, as in no barlow built in.

Just the others sound good but the design and use of the barlow in the focuser just causes the scope not to operate as well people (undestandably) expect.

If it's a 130/650, I have one.  At a focal ratio of f/5, it's pretty sensitive to a good collimation.

You may experience a bit of coma at the edges, but it's really not much of an issue.

BTW: Because of its speed, you'll find that multi-stage, multi lens eyepieces like Hyperions or ES will serve you well.

Clear, Dark Skies

I really dislike having to point out that the basic design is the cause of many of their viewing problems. I also feel sorry for Bird-Jones that came up with the design. The actual design is pretty good and the results are good BUT it needs well designed and matched optics, which is what is missing on the scopes that are presented to beginners.

So saying it is poor as it is a Bird-Jones design is again somewhat unfair, it is how the cost is reduced so much that nothing good is going to come out at the end. Image a decent parabolic mirror and a TV power mate being used and you have a different result but still a Bird-Jones design.

Thanks for the info guys , it appears that at this end of the market it's flooded with low quality scopes

I do understand the viewing quality will be compromised but I feel that I will get enough out of it to warrant the very modest outlay

Clear skies and TY again

Archived