Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bino choices, choices and more choices

autoq

Just getting into this astonomy malarky and have managed to borrow 2 pairs of old binoculars , one of which is a very old (made in DDR) pair of 10x50's . They are still giving me a decent view of various objects in the sky - even managed to pick out Lovejoy. The second pair are smaller - I think they are maybe 8x50's but there is no real way of checking - they are newer and give a slightly clearer, but less magnified picture. I have purchased a tripod as holding the 10x50's is tiring after a few minutes.

All this has convinced me to wait a few years to save up for a really good scope, and in the meantime buy a pair of decentish binoculars to keep me going....
but which mag/power is "best"?

I am not too bothered about portability as I have the smaller of the above for carrying around. I am going to be using a tripod for the "big" ones. Most people on here appear to be happy with 15x70's , however I am looking at 20x80's as I hope this extra light and magnification will give me a noticable difference over the 10x50's.

However, I am now just wondering if 25x100's might be worth aiming for ?

I was originally considering the Revelation 20x70's for about £50 on Amazon , or possibly the 20x80's for £74.

Then I found the Helios Quantum3 20x80's which sound like a real step up, but at about £180 will I actually notice the difference ?

Then there are Helios Quantum 4 , which for the 20x80 are about £230  - and yes I know they do a 20x90(£255 FOV 3.22o 3.7Kg) and a 25x100 (£270 FOV 2.53o 4.6Kg yikes - new tripod required ) . This is way more than I was originally going to spend, and so it will mean the telescope waiting quite a few more months, but I am actually okay with that.

The main differences between the 20x80 Q3's and Q4's appear to be FOV 2.99o and weight  2.4Kg for the Q3 , but FOV 3.2o and weight 3.17Kg for the Q4's. The slightly better FOV is appealing - especially since I am also probably using these to try to learn to star-hop .

Generally should I spend a bit more for the Helios (or similar) or should I just go for the more budget ones e.g. Revelation and spend the rest on a good pair of gloves to keep my hands warm ?

Anyone got any real world usage information ?

For me a quality pair of 15x70s on a tripod are best as they show a surprising amount but still give a pretty wide field of view. I tried my own against the 22x85 in the same range recently and found they could only see very marginally deeper. And I think those 22x85s will be pretty close to the performance of many 25x100s on the market as their aperture actually measures 85mm, whereas most 100s are a fair bit less than what's advertised.

I am in the same situation, wanting to upgrade from my 10x50’s, and getting lured by bigger is better. I’ll probably go for the 15x70’s so I can use the tripod I have with its weight limitations, and also the fact that the 15x70’s have the close focus where I can use them to observe the birds at my backyard feeders.

however I am looking at 20x80's as I hope this extra light and magnification will give me a noticable difference over the 10x50's.

I went from using 10x50's (for 30 yrs) up to 20x90. The difference is VAST. I still use 10x50 very very often while just casually wandering around the night sky. In fact i just bought a new pair of 10x50 Strathspey bins.

Bins will never deliver the views you get with a scope, so you have to decide if spending a lot of cash on BIG bins is the way you really want to go or would you be happier with a scope and maybe a smaller set of bins in the 10x50 or 15x70 range.

Binocular astronomy and telescope astronomy are two different things. Its great to do both. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond - yeah think I'll speak to a few guys at the local astro club and then (try to) actually make a decision  :rolleyes: . FWIW when I do make a decision . I'll try to post some sort of review here to maybe help some other newbies ..

Archived