sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Startools software any good for a complete beginner?

Garethr

Hi Gareth 

It depends what you're used to I suppose, and everyone has their own opinion 

I downloaded startools trial as it sounded really good , however on my machine win 8.1 64bit intel i5 with 6gb ram it runs very slowly 

I much prefer photoshop myself but you will get very different views by other people

Before you go spending....get Stellarium,,,,it's free and a great piece of software..Explore the program, it's a great educational tool.

Star Tools is a dedicated image processing software for AP, Stellarium is a planetarium software for locating the objects in the sky. They have nothing to do with each other.

A.G

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me if this would be a worthwhile purchase as a complete beginner at imaging. PS and pixinsight look really complicated

I have StarTools, Pixinsight, Nebulosity and PS. If you are only used to PS then you will find Star Tools routine quite unfamiliar but it is not difficult and gives good results if your subs are up to scratch. It can be as simple or as complicated as Pixinsight, well close enough, but the trial version is free, unlimited and with all functions enabled but the SAVE command. Give it a try. The tutorials on the tube are quite useful so watch them before trying to use the software and remember that it works best with linear fits file.

A.G

• Like 2

Cheers all,

Was thinking of using the trial version ( when my PC comes back from the repair man. Properly broke it this weekend)

Not sure if I could cope with processing an image right up to the point where if looked like it was supposed to then binning it arrrrrrgh.

Pixinsight was just too much for an oldie to take in

PS not sure what the deal is there it seems like a license for a year then renew?

Cheers all,

Was thinking of using the trial version ( when my PC comes back from the repair man. Properly broke it this weekend)

Not sure if I could cope with processing an image right up to the point where if looked like it was supposed to then binning it arrrrrrgh.

Pixinsight was just too much for an oldie to take in

PS not sure what the deal is there it seems like a license for a year then renew?

If you use DSLR for imaging then your file sizes will be very large and these will take some serious processing power so " Bin " the data in the beginning and crop the edges to get rid of the stacking misalignment, process the data simply in the beginning ( forget deconvolution, HDR wave lets and all that ) once you are happy with the basic processing then you can go and do more intensive processing. The terminology used in StarTools can also be a bit confusing but you will soon get the hang of it. Good luck.

A.G

• Like 1

So far I am able to follow the processing videos on budgetastro.net where he uses PS.

I am trying Paintshop Pro x7 Ultimate which can be trailed the full version for 30 days and I have found both the plugins that are used in PS work in Paintshop Pro.

The price is a 9th of PS so was my motivation to try it buying out right I did not consider the rent it option which I guess always means you get the lastest perhaps.

Edited by happy-kat

So far I am able to follow the processing videos on budgetastro.net where he uses PS.

I am trying Paintshop Pro x7 Ultimate which can be trailed the full version for 30 days and I have found both the plugins that are used in PS work in Paintshop Pro.

The price is a 9th of PS so was my motivation to try it buying out right I did not consider the rent it option which I guess always means you get the lastest perhaps.

Compared to PS Paintshop Pro is a real bargain and if the PS plugins also work in PP then you are on a winner.

A.G

• Like 2

What I am finding too, but I thought paintshop pro was cheap enough to also leave the door open to buy the plugins and try startools. I run 32 bit right now so didn't pay any attention to if there is a 64 bit one.

Thankfully everything has free trials so can try them all and see what you get on with.

Don't forget nebulosity.

Edited by happy-kat

Sorry folks..... I though he was after Astro software as opposed to Image editing software......I think I will have a look at it myself tho........saying that, I'm running 64bitt machine ...Window 7 tho.

No need to be sorry, it is a very confusing game this imaging.

A.G

The Gradient Exterminator plugin is not saving my registration key (it recognises my key though) so I guess that might be a sign of an element that would get saved in PS. If you pick purchase it crashes Paintshop Pro but I can work around this.

Also currently not able to get a tiff saved in Paintshop Pro into Startools.

Anyway thought I would share these two immediate findings.

Edited by happy-kat

Though a quick test, if I open the PSP tif in DSS and then save again as a tif that will open in startools though I do not know if this would mean any loss of data.

Though I guess it would only be an issue if I used PSP to manipulate before using startools. I guess maybe more likely to do it the other way round and then perhaps there would be no issue but I can't tell as the trial version does not allow saving.

Edited by happy-kat

Though a quick test, if I open the PSP tif in DSS and then save again as a tif that will open in startools though I do not know if this would mean any loss of data.

Though I guess it would only be an issue if I used PSP to manipulate before using startools. I guess maybe more likely to do it the other way round and then perhaps there would be no issue but I can't tell as the trial version does not allow saving.

Make sure that psp does not apply any none standard compression to the file or save in a none integer format. If I save the tiff files in 32bit unsigned integer in PI then I can't open them in CS2 but it will open 32bit floating point.

A.G

• Like 1