SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

March Total Eclipse observing advice

Hi folks - I've got a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I'm going to Iceland in March to observe the total eclipse. In Iceland, the eclipse will be good - but partial. According to NASA, in Reykjavik it'llbe a magnitude 0.975 eclipse with an obscuration of 97.70%. However, if I drove 2 hours south to a town on the southern coast, it's reported as a magnitude 0.987 eclipse with an obscuration of 98.98%.

So my question to you all is - in terms of viewing the eclipse, will you actually notice any difference between a 97.5% partial eclipse and a 98.9% one? Is it worth a 2 hour drive first thing in the morning or will the view from the southern coast subjectively be much the same as in Reykjavik?

Looking forward to everyones thoughts and experiences

Can't comment on the scientific side of things but I do know that if you don't take the opportunity you'll always wonder if it would have been worth it - and you'll never get the chance again.

Remember, this is not a dress rehearsal for life ...

Whatever you choose to do I hope you enjoy the experience.

Youd never know as you couldnt compare the two. 

I personally would do the drive to get the best possible view.   How does the eclipse compare between iceland and northern scotland? its probably easier to fly to iceland I guess

After seeing the 1999 total eclipse from France id want the best view I could get

I personally would do the drive to get the best possible view.   How does the eclipse compare between iceland and northern scotland? its probably easier to fly to iceland I guess

I looked and in Inverness it's a magnitude 0.957 eclipse. The northernmost coast of the Highlands is about 0.97 but as you hint - much harder to get to.

I'm pretty sure that this minimal difference would not have been noticeable even if as said you could compare them. As also said visibility is the key issue, it would certainly be worthwhile hiring a car for reaching a clear view if necessary.  Good luck.  :smiley:

Archived