Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

t0ny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed some important wording in the links both Bizlder and my self linked which are 'Free for the First year'  does this mean you can upgrade for free during the first year from release,  or does it mean MS are moving to a subscription model similar to what Adobe have done with Photoshop, surely that would not work for a OS

No, it means people can upgrade from 7/8 for free within 12 months of windows 10 being released. If they wait longer than 12 months, they'll have to pay for it.

I presume that the licence key used will become linked to 10, so if after 2 years they want to reinstall they'll still be able to for free without having to purchase a licence.

Carefull with these 'FREE' statements. Generally with MS after the 'FREE' to them period of you testing the software and your PC reporting back to them, you will have to either 'BUY' the software or 'UNINSTALL' because it will no longer work. The draw back is that it may also leave later profiles on your machine causing you to have the need to recreate your older profiles.

Any links to truly 'FREE' to the user would tend to be 'frowned' upon on a forum such as this. ;) although plenty exist.

The "free" Windows 10, will only be an upgrade for people who already have a legitimate version of Win 7 or 8. One of the problems that MS is facing is convincing people to shell out £150 for a new version of Windows when their current one works just fine. Because the OS upgrades are almost as much as a cheap desktop, no one bothers to upgrade and waits until they buy a new PC to get whatever operating system is on it. Having vast numbers of legacy OSs around causes support issues and is fragmenting the Windows development base. People are not moving to Win 8, so not one bothers to write software that takes advantage it the new features.

MS are just taking a leaf out of Apple's book: make the upgrades cheap/free and people will all be running the latest OS

Of course the big issue will be corporate customers, many of whom are only now moving from XP to Win7. They are going to need a lot more than a year to migrate to a new OS.

They did similar with Win 8. I think that it costed something like £18 as long as you told them that you had bought a new PC or laptop in the previous 12 months. Of course I told them that I had  bought 2 new PCs <cough> in the last 6 months and got 2 new versions of Win 8 for less than a single new licence costs now.

I run Win 8 on 2 machines and Win 7 in the obsy. That'd be on Win 8 only I messed up and forgot to get the cheap upgrade for that one too :BangHead:

Win 8 works fine...Ive not found anything astro related that it doesn't run. Its faster and more stable than 7. In fact I have struggled with Win 7  to sort a Remote Desktop problem...it was a proper pig to sort.

MS are just taking a leaf out of Apple's book: make the upgrades cheap/free and people will all be running the latest OS

Blimey...I truly hope not. Otherwise you'd have to replace all your software when the upgrade the OS. That's one thing that MS does very well....compatibility with older software. Given the nearly infinite possible combinations of processor, motherboard, GFX card and so on it's properly amazing that you can use a 14 year old OS (like XP) with modern software and vice-versa. 30 year old DOS programs will still run on Window 8!

Win 8 works fine...Ive not found anything astro related that it doesn't run. Its faster and more stable than 7. In fact I have struggled with Win 7  to sort a Remote Desktop problem...it was a proper pig to sort.

I gave up trying to make remote desktop work on Win7 may have another go on Win8.1

Dave

I gave up trying to make remote desktop work on Win7 may have another go on Win8.1

Dave

Mine worked for ages under Win 7 Home Premium. It recently stopped and I was led to believe that it was due to the Home Premium edition that I was running. I wiped the disk and acquired a Win 7 Professional licence, which sort of fixed the problem. It now takes a couple of goes to connect (controlling the Win 7 from the Win 8), but eventually gets there. Connecting Win 8 to Win 8 is no problem...Win 8 just understands things like Homegroup and the Microsoft Live account better

Any reason you guys don't use Teamviewer? It is free for personal use, and you can set up an account so that you will have access to all your own PCs.

Another handy little thing is that you can control the PC using an ipad or other tablet. I often set up the scope snapping away and go and watch TV with the wife while keeping an eye on things on the tablet. If anything goes screwy, I can pop outside and take a look.

http://www.teamviewer.com/

I found the quality on TV to be really poor. Unusable when doing Lunar or planetary. RD is much, much better and it feels like you are right at the remote machine.

Ooooh never had any problems with it. I think it will adjust the settings depending on the speed of your wifi (or lan if you are connected via cable), so it could be that. 

I must admit, I do more DSO than planetary, so that is a bit more fire and forget!

Woooo, you guys remote into your astro laptops? Never thought of that. Just starting out!

I'm the OP, now thinking of rebuilding to 8.1 after these comments.

First thing I did when it got cold! I started out using my works laptop for astro stuff, so that already had TV installed on it. Guess it is just what you are used to! 

One thing that I also use it for is letting other people remote into it. It is dedicated Astro stuff, so no personal data, and it is people I know that are interested in seeing things, so I give them the passcode and we can both see it in real time. 

I haven't got this setup working yet so forgive my ignorance, but do you view the output from your guide scope as the main scope has a camera on it?

At this point I only have a DSLR and webcam.

You still have to spend some time outside, doing your polar alignment and 3 star align, focus etc. I then slew to my target, get the framing right and set PHD doing its calibration. Start the camera running and then go and make a cup of tea to warm up a bit!. I then remote in to look at the pictures that the camera is spitting out and make sure that everything is ok (focus is correct and I like where the image is etc). Assuming everything is ok, you can then start looking on the internet for what bits you are going to buy next! 

I havnt set up stellarium to connect to the scope yet. I have only been doing this since October, so every clear night has been taken up by getting images. Perhaps when we have more of them, I will dedicate some time to actually playing about with complete computer control (I have just ordered a stepper motor driver so I can make my own focuser). 

When it comes to doing planetary stuff, once you have the focus correct you can run inside and start doing the video recordings from there. I then use EQMOD to nudge the scope around if I lose Jupiter, but not very far. 

Woooo, you guys remote into your astro laptops? Never thought of that. Just starting out!

I would if I did not have to set the scope up in the veg patch out of wifi range ;( I got TeamViewer to work once when the wifi gods smiled upon me and it was great being able to watch the guiding trace on the tablet while watching a movie. Unfortunately since then my laptop has refused to connect to the network as it is too far down the garden

Archived