Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First few Astro Images - Review and help to improve please!

mbalkham

Firstly thanks for looking. I'm new to astronomy and imaging.  I've managed to take a few deep space snaps and keen to learn from you guys and improve.  I wonder if people could take a look at my first few subjects and offer constructive criticism on how I can improve. The guide setup is on order so I know I can improve with longer guided images to reduce my noise and increase the details in the nebulosity.

Image 1 - M42

M42 New telescope Edit 3

Image 2 - Moon

20150106 IMG 7693 Edit

Image 3 - Lovejoy

Comet Lovejoy

Image 4 - M31

The Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

Thanks in advance

Matt

Matt, I love the photos. I'm on my mobile at the moment, so apologies if I just can't see the info, but it would be great to know a bit more about your settings (ISO, Exposure length) for your images. Especially Orion as that is one I am playing around with.

What do you use for processing?

Good stuff!

Hi Mark, M42 was shot with 25 lights (30 seconds, ISO 2500), 10 darks and 10 bias. Not ideal settings prob! I'd have liked lower ISO and a mixture of exposure lengths to make sure I got better highlight and nebulosity areas.

Post they were stacked in DSS, stretched in PS CS6 and final tweaks in lightroom. Again I'm no expert here but just watched a few youtube vids and gave it a go! 

Def will head back that way once I know what I'm doing and give it another crack! 

Marvellous! They're by far and away better than anything I ever produced at the start.

By-the-way, how did you stack the comet? If in DSS on comet & Star mode, how did you keep the colour? Mine goes nearly monochrome.

Alexxx

Hi Alex,

Stacked in DSS with stars and comet checked. Other settings much as my other images (thanks to a youtube vid again!).  Mine was very mono out of DSS too but the colour did come back in PS and LR edits. Image straight out of DSS below.

Stacked Lovejoy

Not sure I can remember or post how I edited it!!

Good luck with yours!

Hi Mark, M42 was shot with 25 lights (30 seconds, ISO 2500), 10 darks and 10 bias. Not ideal settings prob! I'd have liked lower ISO and a mixture of exposure lengths to make sure I got better highlight and nebulosity areas.

Post they were stacked in DSS, stretched in PS CS6 and final tweaks in lightroom. Again I'm no expert here but just watched a few youtube vids and gave it a go! 

Def will head back that way once I know what I'm doing and give it another crack! 

Thanks Matt, that interesting - I've been sticking to 800ISO, but you have a lot more colour coming out in yours, so I might bump mine up a little - but also need to get better with processing! I should be able to get away with a higher ISO I guess as I have just added an LP filter to the imaging chain.

Archived