Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

£500 Budget: What's a Good Telescope for a Beginner?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a good bit of fun carrying it in the snow I must say.

By the way it came with Plossl 10mm and 25mm eyepieces, as well as a 0-III filter. What is this last one, and how useful is it really?

Also will I need any specific extras to get really good planetary views, or is the current rig good enough at present?

Thanks for your help again!

OIII filter is good some nebulae, such Veil and North American, you find more about filters here:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

A collimator is a must for any newtonian, if you're in tight budget, a simple cheshire should be fine, it's much better than those cheap laser collimators.

It was a good bit of fun carrying it in the snow I must say.

By the way it came with Plossl 10mm and 25mm eyepieces, as well as a 0-III filter. What is this last one, and how useful is it really?

Also will I need any specific extras to get really good planetary views, or is the current rig good enough at present?

Thanks for your help again!

I have thought about getting a big dob like that, but I just know I will be too lazy to carry it all around to get good views.  My garden is arranged in such a way that I need to move quite a bit to see different areas of the sky.  

I have thought about getting a big dob like that, but I just know I will be too lazy to carry it all around to get good views.  My garden is arranged in such a way that I need to move quite a bit to see different areas of the sky.  

Maybe drive outside of town a bit? My partner and I walked a few miles out of town to go and see the Quadrantid shower last month (we froze but the sky clarity was worth it; even the Moon didn't prevent us from seeing a good few of them).

As for myself, I'm gonna live on the edge of a small town in 2 weeks (Borgholm Öland) so I'll just head outside my door to the small quay nearby; hoping that I get a space with less streetlamps where I can set this "wee mortar" up!

Maybe drive outside of town a bit? My partner and I walked a few miles out of town to go and see the Quadrantid shower last month (we froze but the sky clarity was worth it; even the Moon didn't prevent us from seeing a good few of them).

As for myself, I'm gonna live on the edge of a small town in 2 weeks (Borgholm Öland) so I'll just head outside my door to the small quay nearby; hoping that I get a space with less streetlamps where I can set this "wee mortar" up!

Sounds like you live (or will live) in a great place for observing.  I'm stuck on the outskirts of a biggish city (500,000).  At least I'm not too close to downtown.

You will on the weekend; I'm in the middle of a move so my first go will have to wait until then!

Fingers crossed it goes well. I've looked up and saw perfect skies a few times this week; even saw yellow hue around Venus, it was that clear. Typical that I can't really use the thing here in a student corridor (much to my frustration).

Archived