Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 2174 and a comparison

Epicycle

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share my recent image, NGC 2174 (aka the "the monkey head nebula"), a lovely nebula at the edge of Orion.

The subs were collected over two nights and it's a bi-colour image consisting of 19x30m Ha (Astrodon 5nm) and 11x30m (Astrodon 3nm), so 15hs in total.

The equipment was:

-130pds with Atik 460

-HeQ5

-Guided off-axis with Costar and SX mini-filter wheel.

Processing was done in Pixinsight and PS and acquisition with Nebulosity.

More details in astrobin: get.jpg

I find it interesting to compare this image with another one I took about a year ago but with the Megrez 72 and SX-H9. My old post

is here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207094-ngc-2174-the-monkey-head-nebula/ and astrobin: get.jpg

The main difference is obviously in resolution: now 1.43" per pixel and before 3.8". The processing is not that much different except the effort

in bringing out this extra detail via deconvolution and high pass filter with careful masking.  I'm happy with the improvement!

Comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks for looking,

cheers

Epicycle

post-25876-0-06370400-1421693161_thumb.j

The earlier image is a good one, but the latest version is a beaut! The kit is certainly working well and the processing is lovely, good rich colours and loads of OIII coming through. My only criticism would be that I am struggling to make out the monkey's head in this rendition!!

Nice work, good to see the development too. Being just six months in guess I will have to wait until I can do :)

Well done

Paddy

Thanks Paddy, you'll get there quicker than you think! I suppose revisiting objects is quite natural if you stay in hobby long enough.

The earlier image is a good one, but the latest version is a beaut! The kit is certainly working well and the processing is lovely, good rich colours and loads of OIII coming through. My only criticism would be that I am struggling to make out the monkey's head in this rendition!!

Thanks Gav! Very much appreciated. I rotated the nebula in different ways and this was the one I liked the most, but yes, the monkey is facing down on this one,

E.

Thanks Paddy, you'll get there quicker than you think! I suppose revisiting objects is quite natural if you stay in hobby long enough.

Thanks Gav! Very much appreciated. I rotated the nebula in different ways and this was the one I liked the most, but yes, the monkey is facing down on this one,

E.

Looking forward to it, been diligently filing data to add to next year, but tbh feel like banging my head against a very hard wall at the moment, all set up and cloud rolls in once again and had been hoping this month would be a prime one for imaging but looks like another wash out. In six months I am yet to collect sufficient data for any one of my images thanks to weather.

Applies to a lot of us I guess

Paddy

Archived