Hello from London UK

adzsouthorn

Hi, my name is Adam.

I've always been interested in astronomy, and this year got my first telescope (Celestron Travel Scope 70 Refractor Outfit - it had good reviews, appears to be entry level and not too expensive)

Naturally, my first night of stargazing got me hooked, despite being polluted by the London lights. I've been to a few meetups and now I want to know even more so this seems like a good place!

I have loads of questions, so looking forward to speaking to everyone here.

Thanks!  :smiley:

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. No problem in asking questions as and when they arise as that is the purpose of the forum. Just post in the relevant section and sit back and enjoy the replies.  :smiley:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Pleasing little scope depending on expectations.

It will allow you toi see quite a number of objects if you do a bit of work and make reasonable choices.

If DSO's prove difficult with the light pollution then perhaps consider identifing and splitting double stars, there are lists, short and long, of doubles that have contrasting colours.

You may want to consider a couple of additional eyepieces for a better range and hopefully better quality views.

Hi Adam & welcome to this very helpful board. SGL has improved my observing and understanding no end (bear of very little brain, y'see)... :)

What part of London? If not in the suburbs, you may find as I am that the light pollution is secondary in terms of clearly seeing some stuff, to the heat and air turbulence generated by the city, buildings, traffic etc. Patience & timing is the key! That and looking out for low-to-no-twinkle nights!

Well I'm based in Pinner and Fulham, so Pinner is pretty much on the outskirts and is better. Do you think going to a dark park at night nearby would generate good results?

Are you more central then? Must be difficult for you!?

Archived