30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Quick 1st look with 12" OOUK

After trying and failing to find focus with my 12" OOUK dob, I finally had clear skies and decided to try my new extension tube. I popped in the 28mm SW and the EP suddenly filled with stars. After sweeping the skies I must say the details and resolution of open clusters was quite breathtaking! So far, so good. Next I popped in the e13mm and WOW!! It was around 10pm (last night) and I'm almost at the zenith, maybe looking north and sweeping around was incredible. I found a very bright cluster (sorry I don't know the skies that well) and the view was amazing. The dob was living up to the hype. A 12'" mirror really does show so much more. Next I tried my e8mm and to my horror not matter what I tried and no matter how I positioned the extension tube I could not reach focus. Not even close. After 15 min trying and panicking I was ready to rush inside and ask SGL for help. Then rather sheepishly, I realised I had left the semi-translucent end cap on!! To my relief once removed all was good again (have other members at SGL had similar 'doofus' moments like this??)

So, even thought I did not have long to observe, already I'm delighted with my new scope and cannot wait to really put it to use. Now I need to learn how to star hop.

Clear skies one and all

• Like 9

Don't worry, plenty of us have done the same with that darstardly cap! I thought my 13e was completely broken until I realised. I don't bother with it any more, I have a 2" extension ring on it and just use a cap on that.

12" is a lovely scope [emoji3]

Congratulations on 1st light with your Orion Optics 12" - it's a cracking aperture and I've noticed that even those with larger instruments have a soft spot for the 12"ers :smiley:

I've done exactly the same with the Ethos and the plastic end cap - I actually studied the view of Saturn through it for a few minutes thinking "where did that fog come from ?" :smiley:

The 8mm and 13mm Ethos do have very different focal positions though. I've put 28mm Baader Fine Tuning Rings on mine so that they take 2" filters and it's also helped a little to even up their focal positions with other eyepieces. Your don't need to use the 1.25" dust caps then as 2" ones fit. I've found a 35mm extension tube (Shanes suggestion) works best with my 12" OO F/5.3.

Congratulations on the first light, it is a scope I really would like for my EQ mount but I just can't bring myself to believe that it will be OK dispite being told it is fine but a person that has the same kit.

A couple of years back I bought a 13mm Ethos on the sound advice of the last poster, I was so disappointed looking at the Moon which I could focus but it was awful, then I found I had left the end cap on. Even Televue's work better with clear glass surfaces.

Alan

Congrats on the scope! Is it the f4 or the f5.3? What collimation tools do you use?

I have the OO12" f4 version myself and I am really happy with it. Welcome to the party of 12" scopes that perform like 13" and weight like 10"!!!!

• Like 1

It's f4 and is indeed remarkably light and easy to manoeuvre for its size. I use a laser collimator and in fact I've just tweaked it this evening (it was quite a bit out). So now I'm hoping for good skies and a bit of jupiter too!!

• Like 1

Congrats on the new scope and glad to see you've sorted out the focus issue. I'm a new 12" dob owner as well, and it's very exciting to think of all the nights of fun (and frustration - it wouldn't be fun without the occasional frustration!) ahead.

Enjoy it!

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth Dobious

You just HAD to do that, didn't you???

Now I can't shake this image in my head of Dobby the Elf from Harry Potter, breathing deeply and saying "Luke, I am your father!", all dressed up in black...  :icon_puke_l:  :icon_puke_r:  :BangHead:   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: 

Off topic but I must say the knowledge, generosity and good humour here is a refreshing change. I frequent a magicians forum and it can be a good resource, but it's full of petty, armchair know-it-alls and folk who are quick to throw their toys out of the pram.

So coming on here is something I always look forward to. Thanks SGL community for all your help in advancing my knowledge base (and helping empty my pockets!) and making  my pursuit of all things astronomical a fun and rewarding hobby.

• Like 2

Off topic but I must say the knowledge, generosity and good humour here is a refreshing change. I frequent a magicians forum and it can be a good resource, but it's full of petty, armchair know-it-alls and folk who are quick to throw their toys out of the pram.

So coming on here is something I always look forward to. Thanks SGL community for all your help in advancing my knowledge base (and helping empty my pockets!) and making  my pursuit of all things astronomical a fun and rewarding hobby.

off topic also - I wish people here could pluck coins from behind my ear, as my money frequently disappears right in front of my eyes with this hobby...

• Like 2

Congratulations on the first light, it is a scope I really would like for my EQ mount but I just can't bring myself to believe that it will be OK dispite being told it is fine but a person that has the same kit.

Alan

Hmmm, interesting. I was thinking of buying the 10" Orion Optics VX10L f6.3, but was put off by the thought that it might be a bit too big/heavy/unwieldy for an NEQ6.

Hmmm, interesting. I was thinking of buying the 10" Orion Optics VX10L f6.3, but was put off by the thought that it might be a bit too big/heavy/unwieldy for an NEQ6.

They are relatively light tubes. If anything the length of the tube would create the challenge for the mount. At least one member here runs an Orion Optics 12" F/5.3 on an EQ6 but I'm not sure they image with it.

Martin Mobberley used his on a Vixen Sphinx:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/telescopes/dobsonians-10-40/orion-optics-250mm-f63-spx-newtonian-r621