Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Hemet, CA

rich6661

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to you both to the forum. You might want to consider downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium which will help find some of the wonders that are in the night sky and also identify objects you may find along the way. This system can be easily configured to match your exact observing location thereby replicating the same night sky that you can see using your scope. One other useful feature amongst many, is the advance date/time feature which will help you determine when objects will come into view which might prove essential if your son has school the next day and Saturn is not going to appear till 3:00am in the morning.

Wishing you clear skies for your new scope and hope you both enjoy your stay here.

Clear skies

Greetings & Welcome to SGL. A great forum to ask questions and get answers!

Speaking of which - you query on your scope has my reply.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Yes, thank you. We will be realigning the scope today. 

Hi Rich and Son and welcome to SGL, no knowledge of your Simmons 6450, but I am sure you and your Son will enjoy observing the skies with it :)

There is very limited info on this scope other then the owners manual. 

The specs are as follows

Focal Length 900mm (35.4")

Diameter 114mm (4.5")

F Ratio 7.87

Dawes Limit 1.1 Arc Seconds

Light Gathering Power 225

Eye pieces 20, 6, and 4mm (missing barlow)

Hi and welcome to you both to the forum. You might want to consider downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium which will help find some of the wonders that are in the night sky and also identify objects you may find along the way. This system can be easily configured to match your exact observing location thereby replicating the same night sky that you can see using your scope. One other useful feature amongst many, is the advance date/time feature which will help you determine when objects will come into view which might prove essential if your son has school the next day and Saturn is not going to appear till 3:00am in the morning.

Wishing you clear skies for your new scope and hope you both enjoy your stay here.

Clear skies

Will be downloading today. BTW is Google Sky Map a good resource for observation?

Will be downloading today. BTW is Google Sky Map a good resource for observation?

To be honest I'm not sure as I've hardly used it but others may chime in with their recommendations. Stellarium seems to match all my requirements and is pretty good for I want to use it for, namely linking it up to my mount to help me pin down some special targets. If you have a smart phone, again there are some pretty good apps out there that some people might also recommend.

Clear skies

Archived