Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sully

Camera settings

I've Just been out trying to get some images of orion constelation with my 1100d, but the shots just seem to be blackouts, is this just a beginners error somewhere along the lines? I've set the camera as detailed in the timer manual but dont seem to be getting the results.  Can anyone help, What should i be setting the camera/timer to do?

Try 800 ISO, Shutter speed 20 seconds, prime focus (the DSLR attached directly to the focus tube only)  once you sort out the exposure ect worry about star trails ..

Yes I'm using a remote timer and the camera only 18/55 lens not attached to scope. 20 sec at iso800

Depending on your F speed of your lens your iso may need to be increased.

If its around F5 at 55mm then your iso should be more like 1200 to capture the detail.

Set on M with a batt grip timer, 18-55 @18mm, 30sec, ISO800, RAW, lens on Manual and focused by hand with care using rear screen and max zoom with live view, should at least give you an image even with the camera on a static tripod, lens cap off.

Delay 2seconds, long 30 seconds, interval 3 seconds, number 10 shots.

Camera histogram between 20%-40% (play with ISO here, you might need more than 800 depending on your sky).

If you can see Orion naked eye then these settings will get something onto the sensor.

Is the camera firing when you trigger the timer. With mine I have to either hit 'Play' or use the Remote, the camera shutter release button does not seem to trigger the timer.

PS, very important to remember to switch the timer on in my case. doh!

PPS, practice this one during the day when you can see what you are doing, it does not matter that the images will be burned out, you will have at least captured a series and so know that it will fire OK at night.

Manual focusing is critical, the infinity setting is not perfect and unless you are pretty tight then all you may see is blackness.

Could be out of focus.

Focus is quite tight with lenses.

Wack the iso right up and use Liveview to focus if you have'nt already tried.

Thanks for the advise guys hopefully might have another go tonight, sky's permitting!

Timers differ. With some, the interval is from the start of one sub to the start of another (weird!) so, if your subs are 5 mins, you would put 5mins 5 secs (for example) for the interval. Others, it's just a straight interval e.g. 5 secs. Have a read of the manual if you have it, or just try out each.