Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starblast focuser upgrade

bscheve

I cheated! Glued some big alloy wheels on with Gorilla Glue :D

The originals do come off - they're screwed in. But I couldn't get the second unscrewed so glue it was. I'd noticed that friends and family seemed to find it difficult to find the original knobs, and often bumped them, messing up focus, hence the change.... The extra width does seem to somewhat improve the fine-focus action tho....or I'm imagining it!

Edit/ getting rid of the original sticky gunk and replacing with silicon really does smooth the focuser, as Astro-Baby said. So a big thanks to her! And after changing the lube, do play with those two fixing screws: a quarter-turn or less can make a good difference in smoothness.

I'd be interested to hear what you think once you've tried this. I don't think it makes the focuser a Moonlite, but it does maximise what this cheap focuser is capable of....

Archived