92335031_Perseidsmeteorshowerbanner.jpg.f082cb58353bce3cc854fb958f76fc98.jpg

LOVEJOY bagged but pretty rubbish for everything else.

bomberbaz

Went to a good dark site tonight (very dark) and got great view of the comet. Beautiful colour of the comet really showed up well, think the green is caused by methane but not sure, maybe someone can tell me otherwise. Looked really good in 15x70 bins, scope had it at x80 and one of party showed me through camera with a lovely tail streaming out from the right. 

Everything else was pretty pants tbh except for  a few large clusters and Orion nebula. In the end the cold sent me home, 2 hours was enough. #windchillfactor

Shame as other conditions were favourable but c'est la vive. Always next time.

steve

• Like 4

Steve

Hard luck. Shame the dark site didn't live up. I had a similar experience this weekend. Was going to a christening in county Galway. The house we were staying in was supposed to be really dark. Wasn't overly impressed with the 10" there. Came home today to clear skies. Got the LB out tonight. Think my skies are as dark or darker. Had a good evening. Only slight tail on love joy but got some nice dark galaxies and tried out my new (used) BCO 18 and 10mm. Really like the 18mm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a shame, Steve but I feel you at least got out and that is often equally as important. If you hadn't done so, perhaps you'd have nagged yourself with 'what if...?'

Sometimes on a night of bad seeing, I find the longer focal length f10 more forgiving than either my f5 or f6. Not sure why it's like this, but so long as there's little wind there's sometimes less tremour and bluring about the stars. Most times, however, it's probably best to cut things short and nip indoors for a nice warm cuppa :grin:

• Like 2

That's a shame, Steve but I feel you at least got out and that is often equally as important. If you hadn't done so, perhaps you'd have nagged yourself with 'what if...?'

Sometimes on a night of bad seeing, I find the longer focal length f10 more forgiving than either my f5 or f6. Not sure why it's like this, but so long as there's little wind there's sometimes less tremour and bluring about the stars. Most times, however, it's probably best to cut things short and nip indoors for a nice warm cuppa :grin:

Think i might look around for a 127 mak that will fit on my 100p dob mount, thats a good suggestion actually. then again, I probably wont. I am supposed to be cutting down, hahaha

• Like 1

We're lucky to have reasonably dark skies, once the streetlight is screened out. Spent some time on Lovejoy. To me it seemed even brighter and bigger than before and the colour (is it green or blue?) more apparent. Thin clouds were scudding about and it seemed to shine through them. I tried again to split Iota Cass and failed. Spent time around the Andromeda galaxies, then went back to the comet. To be honest if I hadn't seen anything else I would have been quite happy with just the comet, it's beautiful, and it was probably better with the 8x42 bins than the scope!

• Like 1

Certainly better with my 15x70s than through either my scopes or a friend's 200P. The colour does show well, but personally I can't see any sign of the tail by eye, although even my short exposure w/f images seem to show it.

This is one of the first comets for a year or two that I have managed to see through clouds. Roll on another Hale-Bopp!

Chris

Think i might look around for a 127 mak that will fit on my 100p dob mount, thats a good suggestion actually. then again, I probably wont. I am supposed to be cutting down, hahaha

I don't believe that, that's not the Steve we've all got to know and love.  :p

Good luck mate.

• Like 1