Narrowband

Hello from Eastern Kansas!

Cooldill

Hi! I am from Eastern Kansas and am new to stargazing, I have been interested in astronomy since I was a boy. There are some dark sky areas in my region with a fantastic view of the heavens, and I have a strong urge to peer into them! I do not currently own any astronomy equipment... which is why I joined this forum to both learn about equipment and how to be a good stargazer! I am in the market for a good pair of astronomy binoculars, I'm not wanting to spend over $400 on the binocs if possible and do not care if I need a tripod or not.

Thanks for having me everyone, I look forward to learning a lot here!

A warm welcome to SGL.

Learning the night sky with Binoculars is a great way to start, and if you have  fantastic skies, well I am green with envy.

Enjoy your observing and ask any questions you may have with regard to equipment.

SGL is a very friendly forum. :smiley:

Hi Cooldill and welcome to the forum. Binoculars are a great way to start your observations in astronomy and will still be useful when you eventually decide on your own scope. You might find this website useful both in its advice regarding what to look for when buying "Binos" and also about how to mount them which can be useful when you are enjoying the views with family or friends and want them to see what you're looking at. This website also list each month a list of some useful targets to help you get started too. A very useful book that you might want to consider is "Turn Left at Orion" which list some 100 objects that are presented seasonally to ensure that you have something to see all year round. It has been written with a view to helping the reader observe the night sky with modest equipment which includes binos. The book includes both written and visual directions on how to locate each object and also provides some worthwhile background information to help you further understand what you are looking at.  If you want to see what the layout looks like then you can take a look here.

Clear skies and hope the above suggestions prove useful to your cosmic quest!

Archived