Now I have a right angle finder scope - is it worth keeping my stock finder scope?

Good afternoon ladies & gents,

Now I have a SW 9x50 right angled finder scope is it worth keeping my stock SW 9x50 finder scope?

The right angled finder scope is so much easier and I can't see/find a use for my stock finder scope.

So do I:-

a) bin it

B) sell it - is it worth it because surely all scopes come with finder scopes?

c) keep it for another use? (please specify use :)

Thanks all

Keep it, it is always a backup for when you drop or stand on the right angle one.

Easy idea is to go get a plastic storate tub with a lid - I have a 40 litre one - get a lowish profile one and simply put all astro bits in that and put the lid on. Makes the chance of finding bits in 3 months a lot easier.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'guider' scope as opposed to a finder? I see lots of references to guiding but no clear idea of the difference. Something to do with imaging?

Edit/ I've just read a guiding thread. So, a visual aid to where you point the image-making scope/camera/CCD....Think I get it!? So any small scope can act as a guider to a larger one. Sorry, didn't intend a thread hijack!

Don't sell it just yet! someone will wan't one, one Day, to replace a dropped one (ouch!), and as you so much like the RACI, when you sell your scope, you`ll need to refit the original finder.

I Often quote to my better half the reasons for not disposing  everything!........"I'd rather have something and not use it, than to need something and not have it?"

At some stage you may decide to sell your scope (upgrade to 14" or 16") but still want to keep your right angle finder. Its possible that any new scope you purchase will have the straight through finder. So keep it and store it.

Exactly what I did a great suggestion from Mark and seconded by me

Damian

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'guider' scope as opposed to a finder? I see lots of references to guiding but no clear idea of the difference. Something to do with imaging?

Edit/ I've just read a guiding thread. So, a visual aid to where you point the image-making scope/camera/CCD....Think I get it!? So any small scope can act as a guider to a larger one. Sorry, didn't intend a thread hijack!

A finder scope is a visual aid to point the scope in the right place.

A guide scope is fitted with a camera and used to electronically control the mount to track the movement of a star and keep the scope accurately pointed for imaging purposes.

A finder scope is a visual aid to point the scope in the right place.

A guide scope is fitted with a camera and used to electronically control the mount to track the movement of a star and keep the scope accurately pointed for imaging purposes.

Thanks Kropster. So the camera on the guider controls the mount? Ah no, just re-read it. So there must be a gizmo that links the guide scope to the, er, imaging scope/mount. Phew, so much to learn about AP. Which is why I guess I stick to manual & push-to visual :) Thanks for explaining!

Yes. The guide camera is used to control the mount.... effectively following a star automatically.

The imaging scope is entirely separate and just sits on the mount that is being guided.

Think of guiding as being the driver of a bus..... and the imaging bit is the tourist taking photos out of the bus window. :laugh:

I have a QHY5-LII camera that connects to the mount guiding port, but still needs a computer connecting to the camera to do all the calculations.

I think there may be or may have been some guide cameras that do it all for you.

Somebody will know some names.

Basically, somewhere in the guiding system you have a camera attached to a computer (which can be built into the camera) which then controls the mount based on what the camera image is doing.

Archived