sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Am I Odd?

sbooder

Someone pointed out to me last night that it is strange that I have the focuser on the inside of the scope and not the outside, by which I mean I have the focuser on the mount side not facing away from the mount (see very old pic of my long gone OO 10" Europa on EQ5 complete with father in law below).  Am I on my own here or does anyone else do this?

It is worth pointing out that I use a homemade Wilcox rotation ring with my Newt, so I can put the EP where I like.

I think that the only time I do have the focuser on the outside is when I have guests, just to save them knocking the mount.

final_setup1.jpg

Someone pointed out to me last night that it is strange that I have the focuser on the inside of the scope and not the outside, by which I mean I have the focuser on the mount side not facing away from the mount 

I think they are the strange ones calling it the inside and outside of a scope myself.  All focusers are on the outside of a newt end of. 

Inside and outside focuser position , who are they trying to kid there's no such a thing.

• Like 1

I don't think so. Odd is when you are so inept that you end up straddling the scope, or bent double peering through your own legs

in an attempt to get at the eyepiece. Which is why I gave up and got a ..........DOB! :grin:

That's why I put a rotation ring on.

I think they are the strange ones calling it the inside and outside of a scope myself.  All focusers are on the outside of a newt end of. 

Inside and outside focuser position , who are they trying to kid there's no such a thing.

Oh, so that is where I am going wrong?  I wondered why my views were impaired!

I find when my scope is set up that is the natural place the eyepiece ends up but I would prefer for it to be the other side away from the the counterweights. If I turn the scope in the rings to achieve this the finder/Telrad is inaccessible that is one reason I'm thinking of changing to a dob.

• Like 1

I didn't know there was supposed to be a 'normal' position for it. :shocked:   Since First Light with my EQ-mounted Newtonian I've just been twisting the scope in the rings for a comfortable viewing position, depending entirely on where in the sky my target of the moment was. I generally find I'm shifting the orientation a dozen times in a session, and I just assumed everyone else did the same. Oh well, live and learn - but I suspect I'll just carry on doing what I'm doing, because it seems to work for me. :smiley:

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

You definitely aren't odd. You are smart and handsome too. I like that clever rotation ring.

As much as I would love to take credit for the rotation ring, I cannot, it was not my idea.  And not finding me odd, I thank you!  But "handsome"? I have to take issue.  There is an image of me on my website that I feel is more than true of my current appearance, which even I find ugly.  An alternative view of that image would be a little unnerving.