Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Scooot

Sumerian Canopus 16" review

Having the same for mine, shame they don't do them in televue green though? I may ask?

Damian

Asked Starlight and they don't do Green  :sad:  Not had any demand for them in that colour. Hey ho looks like it's going to be one in another colour for me 

Hi Richard

I'm sure you'll be able to replace the screws for counter sunk ones. They're probably imperial like most of the American stuff.

Nick that's a decent price wonder why he's selling it? Looks a good buy

Thanks Mapstar, just fixed it. It turns out the thread near the bottom of the insert is narrower so the supplied starlight bolts fit. I had to drill the holes slightly deeper but all is now nice and secure as designed.

The grub screw holes are visible in this pic.

post-20507-0-47870300-1422198962_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice one - yes I see them now on either side wall of the mounting plate! Thanks again :)

I remember drooling over the reports on that scope on SGL (if it is the same one) - seems like an excellent deal - a smidgen too late for me -- would certainly be tempted at that price. Best regards to the seller...

yes its mike 73 of here great guy, and lovely scope

• Like 1

Update

I've used it a few times now so for the sake of completeness I thought I'd add this.

Using my 26mm Nagler and Paracorr I've had a very tiny balance issue when pointing the scope near the horizon. Not that I do this often. A slight touch might make it drift down slightly or I might have to carefully let go once I've positioned it. I presume it's because the Teflon altitude pads have become a little smoother with use?

Hi Scooot,

Did you apply any armor all or anything like that to the bearing surfaces? I see it recommended for some dob manufacturers but wonder about too little stiction. What you say re pad surfaces 'bedding in' a little sounds reasonable...

Also - just out of interest - have you any thoughts on how noticeable a difference a Paracorr makes to you at say low / med / hi powers - have you experimented? Your 16" mirror is f/4.5 isn't it?

Hope we all get some DSO hunting weather when the moon wanes ;)

Cheers Niall

Update

I've used it a few times now so for the sake of completeness I thought I'd add this.

Using my 26mm Nagler and Paracorr I've had a very tiny balance issue when pointing the scope near the horizon. Not that I do this often. A slight touch might make it drift down slightly or I might have to carefully let go once I've positioned it. I presume it's because the Teflon altitude pads have become a little smoother with use?

Just realised I could be being a bit dense here

I've just been reading about balancing truss Dobs and I came across an article about using a spring system, a bit like the elasticated rope on the above pic. I'd previously presumed this is a transport

tensioner but now wonder whether it's designed to help balance the scope at the horizon if required? I'll update when I've had a chance to try it

.post-20507-0-41961300-1423171719.jpg

Hi Scooot,

Did you apply any armor all or anything like that to the bearing surfaces? I see it recommended for some dob manufacturers but wonder about too little stiction. What you say re pad surfaces 'bedding in' a little sounds reasonable...

Also - just out of interest - have you any thoughts on how noticeable a difference a Paracorr makes to you at say low / med / hi powers - have you experimented? Your 16" mirror is f/4.5 isn't it?

Hope we all get some DSO hunting weather when the moon wanes ;)

Cheers Niall

Hi Niall

I was just typing that whilst you posted it.

I used the paracorr with my F4.8 OO scope as well and I only noticed coma with the nagler but used it with all the eyepieces.

When I set this one up the second time I forgot the paracorr and didn't even notice with the 17.3mm or 10mm until afterwards. In fact the lesser mag without it on M42 was probably a help that evening, I had amazing views of the nebula and trapezium seeing the e & f stars fairly easily. I haven't tried the nagler yet without the paracorr but I think I will next time out so I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Yes - I do believe that is a tension based counter balance scheme - I think the Alkaid models feature that approach, and also now the new revision of the canopus. I hadn't seen it on the older version as far as I recall.

Thanks!

Yes - I do believe that is a tension based counter balance scheme - I think the Alkaid models feature that approach, and also now the new revision of the canopus. I hadn't seen it on the older version as far as I recall.

Many thanks, that's great to know. pity there was no mention of it in the instructions, but pleasing to know it's there to use if necessary. :)

• Like 1

Richard

I used my 31mm T5 in a buddies Canopus 16" without any issues a while back. Sounds like you need to have a gander at the tensioner system. His scope had no problems dealing with the enormous fat lump (the eyepiece not me :D )

• Like 3

This is precisely the type of scope (with an OO mirror) that I want as a companion for the Pentax whilst it's APing.. I'm very tempted to build my own in the same format. Then stage two would be to make a middle cage and then have two 24V direct drive motors provide an alt-az tracking.

Edited by NickK

This is precisely the type of scope (with an OO mirror) that I want as a companion for the Pentax whilst it's APing.. I'm very tempted to build my own in the same format. Then stage two would be to make a middle cage and then have two 24V direct drive motors provide an alt-az tracking.

If you do let me know if you want any pics of anything else.

Hi Richard

You can loop the tensioning cord various ways to get the required 'balance'.

It works on my Alkaid with the 31 Nag/Paracorr combo.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1