Hello from Long Island

richoboyle

Greetings! I've been an amateur backyard astronomer since the age of 7. I'm looking for others on Long Island, NY who are interested in organizing small impromptu viewings. Also looking for advice on my next scope purchase and my interest in the basics of photography.

My observing experience is with two pairs of binoculars and a small flea market telescope. I enjoy observing the planets and comets whenever possible. Remember Hale-Bopp? I'm also interested in how the ancients understood the planets and stars, as well as people in the Middle Ages.

My goal is to personally observe all the planets as well as the dwarves and asteroids. I'd also like to learn more about the basics of astrophotography. I'm looking to buy a new scope fairly soon, but need to get my hands on actual scopes and listen to actual experience and advice.

My Twitter is @TelescopeRides -- Reach out and say hello!

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  Good luck with all the observing. If there are any clubs you could join you would be able to look through different scopes to help you make up your mind.  If you post In the Beginners forum you would get advice there as more people would read it.  There is also a Astrophotography and Photography section here too you could post any relevant questions there.  Good luck.

Archived