Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

BenDavis

A bit more Love n joy

Took this of Lovejoy last night. Got a bit more of the tail now but I think that's the comet improving rather than me!

As always any advice taken!

1Hr ish LRGB

MN190+383L+

DSS (felt like 6 hours) + PS

post-35206-0-36625600-1421515701_thumb.j

• Like 6

Very nice, I think the whole thing is getting brighter, looks like there were a lot of clear skies last night :)

Dave

I note that your image is a 1hr exposure.  Does the comet stay in the same position for that period?

I tried imaging it last night and within a space of less than half an hour I managed to get two comets when stacked in DSS.

I must be doing something wrong :(

By the way, that photo looks awesome!

Thanks! Yeah I had lots of issues with dss, I think that's normal with comets!?

I used the mount for tracking, no guiding this time. The images from dss all had star trails (as that's the best I could get, I think love joy moves too fast to obtain otherwise!?) which I used PS to remove and then I added a single sub of 60seconds to give the stationary stars for the background.

Hope that helps/makes sense!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great image, I was wondering about the lack of star trails, but you explained it well. :)

"which I used PS to remove and then I added a single sub of 60seconds to give the stationary stars for the background."

I guided my subs (2 mins for what it was worth) and I think that DSS has stacked the stars rather than the comet.

I might have another try when the comet gets nearer the sun and develops more of a tail.